Satellite Radio?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Miller 3

Reaction score
I have a 2005 ST with the single CD player/stereo. There is a "SAT" button on the radio for receiving satellite radio. The owners manual states the satellite radio needs to be dealer installed with a dealer supplied kit. I can't find any info on the kit...how much they cost...

satellite supplier (Sirius or XM)...etc. Anybody ever add the satellite capability and if so...any

details to be had? Thanx!

Well I recently put in a new Pioneer head unit on my '05 ST and it has 'SAT" capability, but I have yet to install the "tuner" for it. It runs $120. for my model + the monthly subscription which is an additional $13 a month. Yes, you may want a dealer that can install it for you depending on your current head unit. With mine I'd just need to connect it to an 'aux' port on the rear of the unit, which of course requires removing the unit from the console. Your 'tuner' should also come with an antenna which can be mounted on the roof.

You definetly need to find a kit that works with your unit, so if you know the name of the unit do a web search, locate your particular model and find what accessories will work with it. Otherwise you can go to a car stereo dealer tell them what you want and they can make suggestions for your model. Also check out places such as ebay. I purchased my unit off ebay brand new for $240. the msrp was $420. and when I decide to hook up other components I'm checking out ebay 1st.

Good luck!

D-

I would use a wireless transmiter before spending $150 on a kit to install it. You can also find kits to install and hardwire the unit through you antennas input in the rear of the radio......for way cheaper then $150.

I agree with Frank. You can pick up a Roady 2 for about $50 at Wal-Mart. Instructions for installation are available by clicking on the purple wrench by my name.

I got a Roady 2 at Walmart for $29.99 before Christmas.... had it hooked up to my factory system via a wired in FM modulator that I got from Crutchfield... Wasn't impressed with the sound coming from the Roady through the FM modulator... it muffled the high tones (I have audiophile ears.. )

So, I bought a new car stereo head unit from Alpine from Crutchfield... it was around $180... not sure of the model number... anyway, it had a direct AUX input on the back.... hooked the Roady up... and WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! XM sounds so much better with a direct input, rather than an FM modulator...

Nelson, I used your idea to route the antenna... but I mounted the Roady on the flat plastic front part of the console..

-Bubba

The only reason for going with the factory system is you don't have an extra piece of equipment mounted to your dash or what have you. All controls and visuals are done through your factory stereo. This system is also hardwired into the stereo, no modulator or transceiver. Pure direct sound through your factory system. I have personally purchased a new Kenwood HU that is Sirius satellite ready. The receiver must be bought for $100.00 (Sir-Ken-1) and it also hardwires right into the system and all controls are through the HU.

I just got my XM Roady 2 in, the wife bought it at Best Buy for $30. I went looking for a different mounting kit, found one at Circuit City and they had Roady 2's on sale for $17.99.

Go to Circuit City or check ebay. I have a Pioneer 'XM' radio ready unit.

What you need to buy is the antenna and the tuner box specific to your brand of radio (kenwood, sony, pioneer). The tuner attached between the antenna and your unit.

I found them as a combined buy on ebay for about $50 with shipping. If you go to Circuit City, they are $50 combined after a mail-in rebate.

It's a cleaner install to use the HU then a secondary radio and the sound quality is much better hardwired then with an FM transmitter.

Scrubb

The specific Kenwood tuner is (Sir-Ken-1). It is about $100.00 and is known for having a very small antenna and thin wire harness. It also has a built-in input for an additional component such as DVD sound input or a cd changer input.