Rusty Step Bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle McManus

Reaction score
My step bars are starting to rust. Anyone else have this problem or and way to do-it-yourself fix? Thanks

P.S. For some reason i cant get a pic to show up so here is the link.

Mine suck too. The best idea I got when I had a similar post was to cover them with a rino-liner type substance. For the cost, you are better off buying after market new ones. Anything else will look like a hack job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think a simple can, or two of good spray paint and taking your time should cure the problem. Probably come back a little over time, but pretty easy job to do.

there was a guy a while back that repainted them really nicely (back to stock color), i cant remmeber the name but if you use the secrh funstion you might be able to find it.....

Dallas

I have only 6230 Km on my Adrenalin and I'm on my 2nd set of of step bars. These are showing signs now too. I have suggested to the dealer (a personal friend) that these can be replaced with the standard non-chrome version and his shop can paint them to match the ST. He liked that idea. I have to give it a little more thought though. I do like the chrome.

[Broken External Image]:

Gerry Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
I just removed mine they were rusted even worse than that!

In the process of grinding off all rust and priming.

One caution- BE CAREFULL AROUND THE PLASTIC ENDS.I decided not to remove

them and started grinding. The plastic melts under the grinder and or

sander, and really gets distorted. Thought about body filler but haven`t

decided yet. I plan on repainting to Toreador Red, same as the ST.

I will try to post a pic. when finished.

Erv01ST

Mine rusted shortly after purchasing the ST...they are not warranty items, as is pretty much everything else on the ST according to the dealer. I removed them, grinded out the rust, and applied some rust-stop, primer, and black spray paint. They looked great for a couple of months, but soon began to rust again. I do live in Hawaii, so the salty air is harsh on any vehicle. I'm going to replace them with stainless when I get to the mainland.

I did mine over a year ago. Some rust is showing through on the joint between the plastic ends and the steel tube. I may do them again or just replace the damn things.

[Broken External Image]:

Mine look the same kyle, that's why I long ago removed them because I thought it made my whole ST look bad. In my opinion, even a 2001 is too new of a vehicle to have a part rusting out like that. I have mine in the basement and I'm still contemplating whether or not to repaint them myself, or just buy a set of black Westin bars instead.

Latest posts