Running Rough

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
Hey guys, Long time no see.

I tried searching for this problem, but the symptoms are so vague that I was going through hundreds of posts, finding very little helpful information.

Over the last few days I've noticed my Trac has been sounding a bit different than usual when accelerating. It kind of sounds like its struggling and almost has a "raspy" sound to it. When I put it in park and made the engine rev a bit, I can hear a sputter after it revs.

This morning on my way to work, I noticed that while taking off from a red light the speedometer doesn't budge until I get to around 30/40 kph.

I'm going to be taking it in to service the brakes soon, and will get the mechanic to look at this issue as well, but if it's something as simple as cleaning/replacing the PCV valve or something like that I might as well do that myself and save some coin.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to diagnosing engine problems, so any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
shaun t,

You probably don't want to hear this, but it sounds like your transmission is having some major difficulties. Sounds like something is either slipping or binding up in the tranny... I don't think it's engine related, but it could ber your PCM going nuts and causing these strange symptoms. You may or may not have any stored error codes, but I'm sure the tech will check when you take it in for service. Just be prepared for a big $$$ repair bill.

For your sake, I hope it is something simple and cheap to fix, but just causes strange expensive sounding symptoms.:grin:

...Rich

Hey guys. As always, I appreciate the responses.

Rich, your response left me with a pit in my stomach!

I thought a little bit more about it as I drove home yesterday and then back to work today. I pulled out my GPS and checked my speed with that. It seems that my speedometer is actually functioning properly. It stays still until I get about 20 KPH, which is the first speed listed.

(I guess I'm a bit of a hyper"car"driact, because when I hear something irregular I tend to start looking for others and thinking they are connected issues - so I apologize for that misleading information).

The sputtering after reving is still there, but I didn't notice it until after I had gotten an oil change on Friday and the tech upsold me on ignition system cleaner - off the top of my head I think this is what it was, I'll have to check the bill when I get home. He then also reccommened that I grab a bottle of fuel system cleaner, which I put in this weekend.

I thought I should disclose this information incase it may contribute to the sputtering, what do you guys think?

Eddie,

What are the things I should check for a vacuum leak? Obviously any vacuum hoses and the PCV elbow, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Shaun, just the basic things of hoses That are on the manfold drawing vacuum. There are many. not just the normal problem ones. You just never know. In my years I have found cracks or loose conections. On the line to the brake booster and others. Some of the oddest places. Even a hose that is not cracked. Can get hardend and not connect tight. When it has no band on it.

Since you have an '03. I dont suspect manifold gaskets. just for grins you can do this test at the manifold mounting.

My way of testing when I cant see a crack or loose hose is. With motor running. A squirt bottle of water. I saturate all hoses. If the leak is bad enough the motor will stumble from sucking water. the other is a propane torch unlit, with a hose on it. Pass it around all vacuum points. If it sucks in, the motor will speed up. With both methods, stay away from main electrical harness.

Also have you ever cleaned you MAF? If not, get a can of MAF spray cleaner. Be gentle dont put the spray nozzle dirrectly on the wires.

How many miles on the pcv? If it is over 50k to 60kmiles. I would consider changing it and the tubing and elbow to front. Even if they dont leak. At that age it wont be long on the rubber parts. Oil satuation.

Also with age. Despite the good waterproof connectors. Main harness, sensor etc. If have had cororsion. Unpluging and repluging can wipe them. If you find one corroded. clean it and use a dob of dielectric grease. Some may disagree with me about connections. But these Fuel injected ECU controled motors are very sensative to corroded contacts. The most voltage on most sensors is 5vdc. A little resistance can hurt. I had many problems with that on early OBD1 fords. There connectors where not as good as now.

You talk about a raspy sound. That can also come from a power steering pump. It can come from the trans. But it usually doesnt go away after your moving.

Sorry if I overloaded you. this might not be your problems. It is problems from my experiacne though. It can self be done and maybe avoid a shop charge.

GL

Eddie,

Tonight the weather cooperated and so I was able to get under the hood. I did as you suggested and replaced the PCV valve and the elbow/tube which attaches to it. I also cleaned the MAF, IAC, and throttle body since I had some time to kill.

When I started the truck the symptoms were still there, so I did a walk around while I left it idling and noticed that there was some air leaking from where this is bolted together:

[Broken External Image]:

Could this be the culprit?

Thati where the main cat bolts to the y-pipe. that shouldnt make it run bad. But it can make it sound like it is. Probably the raspy sound you are hearing.

sometimes an exhaust leak can make a motor sound like it is stumbling on take off. especialy when it is close to the motor.I would get the gasket replaced soon. before the exhaust gas has a chance to etch the metal surface. Use a good thik composistion gasket Impregenated eith the graphite and foil. Most likly a Ford item.