Running Hot!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon W

Reaction score
Hello all.

I read these forums fairly often just to learn about my 2001 4x4 sport trac, and you always ahve some answers.

Beginning yesterday my temp. gauge needle began hovering around halfway between midway and H (like 1/4 from max). Truck is acting kind of funny, with slight hesitation. When I start the truck up, it's a louder initial "rev" than usual, and after driving when I put it in park, the rpm's rise for a moment again before settling. Coolant is full at cold, just kind of dirty.

From what I am seeing in posts, it's probably the thermostat, which has never been replaced (now at 146k miles). Everyone says it is easy, and I am pretty good at figuring this stuff out.

But, if anyone could explain/has accessible some basic instructions for replacing the thermostat, it'd be MUCH appreciated.

If you have any other advice, I am all ears.

FYI, I've always had the oil changed every 5k miles. now using the high milage stuff. at 100k, had serpentine belt replaced, ball joints replaced, and all fluid systems serviced (flushed purged etc.).

Thanks. Sorry for the lost post.

Regards,

Brandon

Brandon,

I have the exact same problem with my 2001 4x4 and also plan on replacing the thermostat (even though I just had it replaced last fall). If you go to the "Projects" page under "Members" there is a step by step guide for the replacement, just search for thermostat. It is pretty easy to do. Hope this helps.

If replacing the thermostat doesn't help or if anyone else has had this problem and knows the cure I would love to have it because it is going to be a long hot summer without being able to run the AC for fear of overheating.

I don't want to be the one to point out the obvious, but make sure your thermostat isn't installed backwards.....it won't work right....

Other overheating causes? Bad fan clutch....radiator may need a good flush....I actually had a hose that delaminated, and the inner ply began to clog the tube......check your hoses, make sure you can see through them.

I doubt you have a hose issue, but it happened to me.......##1 guess if you have a known good thermostat that is properly installed would be a bad fan clutch.

cheers,

Thanks guys! I'll get to it this afternoon. I think the current thermo. is in right, as it's been good for 146k miles. I may have the radiator flushed again. I suppose with all these miles, she'll need even more meticulous maintenace to go another 100k.

Thanks again.

Brandon

I have a '01 4WD (not that it matters) and I'm 95% sure it's the thermostat. It's less expensive than a flush (might want to do both).

Let's see ...

Idles high

Shifts "odd" (crazy down shift coming to stops, then a bit if a surge (from the high idle))

Doesn't brake as well at low speed (also from the high idle)

Ford raises the idle to protect the engine from heat damage.

this was in the projects, so it should help you to change the thermostat,also if you are not sure about the thermostat,try removing it all together and run the engine,if it stays cool then you know.If it doesn't, then you know too look somewhere else for the problem. Ron

Latest posts