Running cold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Spann

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am about to go cross country in my Trac and today I am noticing that it is running cold. I am in Florida so it doesn't get cold here but my engine temp gauge is all the way on the cold side of being in limits. This is unusual for my truck. Normally it is right in the middle.

Should I change out the thermostat? Advice in a hurry please, I leave in the morning! :haveabeer:

Check the coolant level first, fill up with fresh 50/50... run it for a while, and see if there is pressure under the cap. DO NOT remove the cap, just move it enough to see if there is pressure.. in fact, let it sit for 10 minutes or so before attempting, or visit a shop and have them put a pressure gage on it. No pressure means leaks... they sell caps with gages built in if you want to see the pressure sooner...

I think your thermostat may be stuck open. Check coolant level as suggested. How is heater working? If you're getting little or no heat in cabin, that's another clue.

If it is actually running cold. In time the ecu will throw a code. motor temp not up to normal range.

If it doesnt'. It could be the temp sensor for the gauge. Not for sure but usually. The sensor for the gauge is seperate from the one to the ecm.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that it was the stat. As a matter of fact, the old one was in pieces. Swapped it out for a new one and the engine temp is spot on. Thanks for the advice guys.

Latest posts