RPM needle at times will not move

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OFF TRAC

Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack R3V090's post. On my '02 the RPM needle at times will not move (stay frozen like when it's off) when I start her up nor while it move once I start driving.

If I tap the cluster glass/plastic window where the needle is I can get the RPM needle to move and work normally at times for days before I have to tap it again.

Everything else in the cluster (needles, lights etc...) work as they should. No issues with the ST not wanting to start, transmission shifts without any problems.

Has the original alternator, could it be similar to what R3V090 could have (alternator possibly going bad) or just the gauge messing up?

Thanks in advance.

My opinion is a loose connection or a cracked pc board.

DISCLAIMER, ALL THIS INFO IS POSIBILITIES"

If you find the connector good. Get a strong magifier. Trace the conections to the tach. If you find a crack or break. use a 10watt to 20 watt soldering iron solder and paste. jump the trace. Some cases strip a small wire to jump the break. Be sure to use the soldering paste on all solder points.

Too hot of an Iron can cause the trace to realease from the board.

You can get a low watt iron at most $ stores.

Not stealing Off trac's topic, but I believe it may be the cluster unit as well. I got the same symptoms from last night and took your action of pounding on the cluster and it went back to normal. :banana: