Rough Idling...Should I be worried?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started up the engine this morning and it started idling like a diesel. The whole truck was shaking and I could feel the vibration through the pedals. When I pressed on the gas, it made a noise like it might stall. This wasn't even the coolest morning since I've had it. I had an oil change on Saturday, but didn't notice this roughness until this morning. This rough idling/throttling lasted for about a half hour, then all of the sudden, it went back to being smooth as normal. Is this something I should be concerned about or just chalk it up to being not up to temp yet?

If that happens again, shut it off and restart. Believe it or not, the control computer and it's software do not always work properly 100% of the time. Just like all other computers, no matter what they are in, our engine control CPU has a cough once in a while.

I have had my cpu in my trac replaced 3 times!!!! all under warranty

The first time was when it had ±200 miles it started and stalled and would not start again. had to call dealer to come and get it. Then twice around 40/50000 because i had issues when i would start to move the truck would shake then stall (not cut off) and then really take off. Ford Dealer had it for about a month! couldn't really tell me what the problem was just what he replaced. I got a lot of new parts on my trac at no charge.

I have this rough idle right when I start it once in a while. Once I back it down the driveway and start down the road, it goes away. Annoying, but nothing seems to be wrong.

Dragonfly,,its a new'07, take it to the dealer, some have had thier '07 computers reflashed under warranty....

Latest posts