rotator cuff surgery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
i need rotator cuff surgery for a deep partial tear.

was wondering if anyone has had it done and what to expect.

thx

I had my surgery this Spring. I had a bone spur that caused the initial tear, but the straw that broke the camel's back came on Easter Sunday when I fell on it while surfing a Radio Flyer down a grass hill. I was out of work for a few days following the surgery(desk job). They had me out of a sling and stretching it the day after surgery. I did eight weeks of physical therapy, three times per week. It felt like a very slow recovery, but I'm not very patient. I was instructed not to lift anything heavier than a drink until I finished therapy. My arm was very sensitive to weight, which made it easy not to overdo things. It's amazing how quickly you lose muscle mass and conditioning when you can't lift things. I'm a side-sleeper and had to sleep in a recliner for a few weeks. Once I could finally sleep in bed, I couldn't sleep on my right side(injured). It was at least two to three months before I had a good nights sleep and could sleep on my right and left side comfortably. My range of motion is fantastic. My strength and conditioning is getting better. As of last week I am able to do push-ups again. I have been playing volleyball for the past two months, but I took it very easy when I returned. It is still very apparent when I have over-exerted my shoulder. It's still sensitive in certain positions, but that will get better with toning.

In short, take plenty of vitamin Vicodin(especially to sleep). Follow your doctor's instructions for therapy. Don't try to speed your recovery. If you do push things along too quickly the surrounding muscles will over-compensate for the weak r/c and cause you random pain(intense).

Good luck.

[Broken External Image]:

Got some family members who think they're heading down this road in the future... :throwup:

Is that pic with the wagon legit? It does not look "right" ?

We do plenty of these at my surgery center. Techniques have gotten much more advanced resulting in quicker recoveries. Arthroscopic repairs will tend to heal more quickly than an "open" procedure Things that are important to recovery are:

Severity of defect

Condition of musculature prior to surgery

Pain tolerance

Mental preparedness post-op

Ability to follow instructions

These all have an impact on your recovery. On average, most patients can return to "light" duty in several weeks. Full recoveries have happened as soon as 7-8 weeks, on average, 10 to 16 weeks. So, listen to your surgeon, follow directions and start slow/easy and work upward as far as your body limits you. Bob

KL: Yes, it is 100%legit. I thought there were a couple more pictures, but I don't see them now. There was a video, but the girl that took it can't transfer them from her phone to a computer.

I did plan on seeing a doctor this year in regards to my r/c because I could barely throw a ball anymore. For years I've been able to, it just hurt like hell if I threw normally. I just made the surgery somewhat urgent by messing up the surroundings. I think the surgery/recovery would have been easier if it weren't for the extra damage. The doctor's terms were "there was a lot going on in there".

My dad's right r/c was completely torn and required the open surgery. His recovery was much longer with this procedure. His left r/c surgery was arthroscopic and he played golf within a week of surgery. My surgery was arthroscopic, also.

I had a complete shoulder reconstruction. Jake and Bob's descriptions sound about right.

Although, mine was a bit more complicated, so it took much longer recovery and therapy. It was supposed to be arthroscopic for a torn labrum, but after he went in with the camera, he realized he was in for about a 6 hour surgery and had to open me up.

Doing exactly as the surgeon and therapists recommend is the most important thing. I took the pain meds the first two days only. It hurt, but I dislike opiates more than pain. Showering sucks. Sleeping in a recliner sucks. Wearing a sling sucks. Therapy is...not fun (for your sake, I'll leave it at that). But it was definitely worth it and my shoulder is stronger than it has been since I was really young. I loosened it up a lot from pitching in baseball and destroyed it on one unfortunately placed hit in football.

If you get the option to have a TENS unit for home use, GET IT!

Or do what I am doing,7 yrs after the first repair, I fell off my roof cleaning gutters in the rain.

Call me stupid, needs to be redone,not on a bet jose, will live with it.

thx for the detailed experience.

the surg said it would be about 6 weeks in a sling and pt would be about 8-10 weeks.

he also mentioned the initial 3 days of pain and not to move my arm over my upper chest.

i am dreading this and waiting for work comp to approve.

how the hell am i going to prevent my ocd of washing my vehicle during the recovery.

what sux is that i went to 6 weeks of pt/3x a week and they determeined they couldn't help it.

all this fun because i was hit by a toyota as i was walking thru the parking lot . :bwahaha:

thx again everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
You should do alright.

I wasn't allowed to move my arm at all for a couple weeks (don't remember exactly how long bc its been 6+ years). Not that I could move it if I wanted to. The first movement I had was my therapist moving it for me.:cry:

Latest posts