roof rack on cap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
I just picked up some cross bars and rain gutters for my cap, everything I need to put it on but the bolts. Anyone put one of these on their cap? I'm a little worried about cracking the fiberglass, but I have some tips on how to prevent that, like having someone hold a block of wood under where I'm drilling to prevent cracking. I'm wondering how much weight these things can hold, and if I put a permanent cage up there if I'm going to end up cracking the cap from wind resistance. Anyone have a cage on their cap?

I used to work for Astro Cap...use a sharp drillbit and you'll be fine. Also when you put your roof racks on make sure to get some rubber washers and put them between the racks and the roof, and between the roof and the bolts on the inside...and make sure to carefully tighten, too tight will crack your cap. You won't need to use a block of wood...the fiberglass is so hard that drilling is easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rack came with custom rubber washers, so I'll be sure to use those, I was also going to use some silicone.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot when I find some help.

Latest posts