roof rack leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Shelley

Reaction score
For my 2001 with the sun roof.

Having a thaw here in Iowa and the melting snow on the roof was causing a leak, drivers side, back seat, on the inside plastic molding just below the clothes hanger bar. Water was slow but consistent drip. Today took off the roof rack. Lots of dirt and crud under the plastic molding. Did a test with some water and the only leak possible was down through the bolt holes that hold the roof rack on.

Easy fix, cleaned up everything. There are drains built into the roof and direct water down the back of the cab into the channel of the back window. Be sure these drains are clean and open. Same to the front, where the windshield and roof meet.

Used some RTV sealant on the bolts and into the bolt holes and on top of the bolt heads. Did not try to keep water out from under the plastic molding. That stuff has to move when the roof rack gets loaded.

Anyway, an easy fix, thankful anything EASY.

The ST has 240,000 miles, bought it in 2002, (18,000 miles) Should have bought 2 and had a spare when this one is gone.

Dennis

Greetings from the east side of DM! I live on the NE side, but I'm NOT an Eastsider!

"Should have bought 2 and had a spare when this one is gone."

That's essentially why I bought my '01 a year after buying my low mileage '02. My plan was to put the wear and tear on the '01 to save the '02, but my daughter has highjacked the '01.

Thanks for the tip on the leak!

What roof rack? :grin: First "mod" I did. Much cleaner look IMO, especially on a lowered Trac.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I was the first to do that. I didnt make I project though.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]: