Roof Lights Installed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jake,

I used the mounts from Yakima specifically designed for mounting lights. We had to cut them a little because of the location of my basket mounts. They are sold in sets of 2 so of course I needed 4. Here is a link...

George

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

George, I see you used loom to cover the wires. I use vacuum hose. This provides a better seal. Just a thought...

Thanks George, I have a Thule rack on my truck and was looking for a way to mount a couple of lights that I have to it. I don't feel like buying the thule specific lights for $200. I wish the Yakima mounts would work but they don't look like they will.

jlevin I had the same problem that you did.... I came up with a pretty good solution. I used some angle aluminium and made some notches for these brackets that yakima makes. As you can see in the below picture they fit square and round bars. you might be able to get away with something like this......

Here you can see the notches that I had to make in the metal to fit the brackets.

[Broken External Image]:

Here are the plastic brackets.

[Broken External Image]:

And heres what it looks like. There are a few more in the library. Let me know if you have any questions. And believe it or not this only cost $50 for the lights and everything.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
jlevin Something else I thought of is summit sells brackets that are made by surco and they work on square .75" bars I dont know what thule bars dimensions are but that might be another route you could go.

Ian, That plastic bracket would probably work by itself for my application. Yakima makes them?

Edit: I found them on the yakima website, they look perfect, do you think they would be strong enough to hold the lights by themselves?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two of them that are holding up the piece of aluminium my four lights are attached to and its holding fine. If you are trying to use one of them per light and just attaching the light right to them i have to think it would hold assuming the bolt for the light fits into the hole on the palstic. The hole in the plastic piece is for a 1/4" bolt my other Hella lights have like a 5/8" bolt if not bigger. The plastic things cant be too expensive Id get em and try it, mine came with my ski attachment so I didnt have to buy them seperatly, so I cant say that for sure but go for it.

thanks Ian, I found them for $8 a 4pack so I'm going to pick up a package and try it out. If the bolt for my lights are too big for the hole then I'll probably end up doing what you did. Thanks for all your help!