Roof Cross Bars

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stevens

Reaction score
I just got a very nice pair of cross bars for my 07'. Anybody have any resources for info so I can install them. I'm thinking the end caps pop off but if anyone has also done this install I'd appreciate any and all help.

Thanks, Rich

going on the assumption that you got the 07 without the cross bars right? If so, there should be two thumb screws and 2 hex bolts on the rails that run the lenght of the cab. Take those 4 screws/bolts out and match 'em up, if you don't have the thumb screws/bolts, a dealer should be able to hook you up with the right thing or I can take a pic and let you see what they are. The cross bars slide in a track on the inner side of the rails mounted to the roof so you have some adjustment for various loads/items placed on the roof. I took my cross rails off, they're hanging in the garage right now collecting dust.

Rich, right after I got my '08, I realized that I wanted roof racks. So back to Ford and ordered the cross bars, the brackets/clamps and all the necessary hardware. I found out that with great difficulty the front caps have to come off, just be carefull. Next you have to unbolt the siderail in the front in order to get at the screw underneath that holds the base for the caps and remove them. Next lay out the rail and ends. The front edge of the rail should be angled up! Next, slide the ends into the rail and insert a crossbar into them. This is easy as the front bolts are still out. When both are in, reverse the process, screw in the ends, bolt the end back to the truck and you can figure out how to get the end cap on. Be patient, and carefull and it all works out. Make sure all the parts for the sliders are assembled correctly befros inserting them into the side rails. I made that mistake and had to take it all apart again. Good luck, Bob :banana:

Rich, here are step by step instructions (with pictures) on how to access the cross bars courtesy of Pat Freeman. :)

Wow, Lil Red, I couldn't have asked for a more perfect link. I used Pat Freemans instructions and had the cross bars installed in ten minutes.

Thanks again..

Also a big thanks to Scott-SVT for the great deal on the cross bars. Can't beat dealing with people from this forum, very smooth transactions and always a pleasure to do business with....!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts