RIP Col. Sherman Potter - Harry Morgan dead at 96

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP. He was a very down-to-earth person. I spoke with him once, many years ago at a commercial shoot for the IBM AS/400 product line that featured the M.A.S.H. actors. I was taking care of the IBM equipment used for the commercials.

I also remember him in the old Dragnet series too.

Truely a great actor and father figure that we can look up to. He was great on MASH and Dragnet...he will surely be missed.

,,,Rich

That makes three from M*A*S*H that have passed that I know of...

First Larry Linville aka Frank Burns then

Mclean Stevenson aka Col Henry Blake

and now Harry Morgan....he was old in Dragnet....lol

Me & my wife lived in upstate NY when we were much younger. Money was tight & we only got a few channels through the antenna. I swear we must have watched every episode of MASH & always argued who was better, Blake or Potter. I like Potter. He was more like a staunch military man surrounded by goof balls and I appreciated the irony. My wife liked Blakes urge to avoid being a military man. RIP Colonel Potter.

TVLand had a marathon a couple of years back and I VCR'd every episode. Now the vcr tapes are basicly worn out. But I have seen every episode and still tivo MASH every day. Potter was better than Blake, but who cares... MASH is the greatest.

Potter's character was certainly better than Blake's, IMHO. The bumbling, philanderer was essentially the Blake character and it's hard to take that role and that character to new areas. Plus, the writers were still finding their way the first few seasons, and Alda's influence was less back then. MASH was one of those few shows that not only lasted and survived year after year and cast change after cast change, but did so only by getting better, year, after year. The introduction of Potter and the establishment of him as a pivotal character, to me, showed one great example of just how great that show was.

Make no mistake though, changing cast like that and bringing in new characters is not really viable without really good actors. David Odgen Stiers, Mike Farrell and Harry Morgan (sorry if I misspelled any of those names) are/were all very good character actors...some of the best. They made you believe you were watching real people and real life. That's a rare talent and gift, and when there is so much bad acting these days that actually tends towards cringe and throw-away TV, when we lose an actor like Morgan it is truly a sad day.

RIP Harry!

TJR

SOLIDER ,COWBOY ,MAYOR,PROSPECTOR, COPAND MANY OTHER ROLES

r.....i.....p

MAY YOU BE IN HEAVEN 30 MINUTES BEFORE THE DEVIL FINDS OUT