Reverse light Wire

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TowTrac

Reaction score
Trying to hook up some reverse lights for a trailer anyone know the best way to tap into the wire and which wire it is under the dash board. Any pics or help would be great. Thanks

John

What kind of connector do you have? IIRC, the 7 round rv style, the center pin is for reverse (I am at sea and do not have my RV book). You could tap off the reverse light as Jeff said and connect it to the connector, but depending on what kind of lights you are using on the trailer as reverse lights (I had 55w halogen driving lights that I used to be able to see when backing into spots at night), it may draw to much current. you would have to tie the tap off the reverse light on the truck to a relay and use an alternate power source to power the trailer lights. I just tapped the reverse lights on my camper to the house battery on the trailer and put a toggle switch inside my fridge access panel... stop, flip on the lights and then back into the campsite.

I have a 7 pin round rv plug. The reverse lights on the trailer are standard back up lights nothing powerful.

I've heard of the relay thing, but honestly i don't know how a relay works or what it is etc ?? I just have never been told how a relay works, but I'm pretty mechanically + electronically inclined so it should be easy for me to figure out wants i'm told. Anyway, thanks for the info I'll check into tapping the lights on Monday. and find some post on relays

John

Latest posts