replacing gauge cluster question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Starr

Reaction score
So my odometer stopped working and in the research I have done, It all appears to point towards having to replace my instrument cluster.

Do I have to get the cluster "re-programmed" by the dealer? or can I just swap it out. It's an all manual cluster from a 2001 ford explorer sport trac so there is nothing digital to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS. Im planning on setting the mileage to match what I have now, I'm not trying to do an "odometer scam". Just so you know to try and sway some comments relating to that topic. Thanks!

Just pull one out of a junkyard and use a drill to set the odometer to the mileage your ST has. I think the Explorer/ Explorer Sport clusters are the same. Hope this helps. :supercool::banana::haveabeer:

Jerry, I think they are tamper proof. Without the right tool, to open the odometer. They are not cable driven anymore.

Oh, I didn't know they were tamper proof. The gauge cluster from '96+ Explorer's will fit, right? Are the older clusters tamper proof? They're mechanical, right?

Ok, I'm sorry but I don't think anyone gave me a straight answer.

Let me re-phrase this. Can I just go to a wreckers and directly swap out a gauge cluster?

Latest posts