replacement schocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
all of the posts on here are pretty clear about replacing the stock shocks as fast as possible... but as a newbie ST owner, what kind of ride and handling changes can i expect by doing so? I am not looking for better off road cabability - just the opposite. Something that improves the on highway ride and comfort.

thx

You'll never achieve a "car" like ride; but on the low end I would recommend the Monroe Sensa-Trak (similar to Rancho 5000), and on the more firm end I would recommend the KYB Monomax. What ever shock you choose to go with you need to get the Explorer Express anti-sway bar on the rear that will give you much improved handling on pavement. :D

Look for a deal on Monroe Reflex <- newer version of the Sensa-Trak...

New shocks will get rid of about 90% of that wiggly butt feeling.. :wacko:

You won't be disapointed. :D

I run the rancho rsx on the street..same as the monroe reflex...totaly satisfied...for a wee bit softer, monroe sensatracs are good...

If you're practical like me, I'll use my stock shocks first then replace it after a year or so or until it wears out, whichever comes first. Why? 1) Because anyway it's already there; and 2) because you'll appreciate the replacement shocks better if you use the stock shocks for quite some time.

The stock shocks are "worn out" from the day they were installed. They do not provide enough dampening for the ST's spring rates. Waiting to replace them is pure nonsense.

You can say that but it's really a matter of preference I guess. Some people here doesn't even know what shock absorbers do. Dale above is even clueless as to what he should expect by replacing the stock shocks. He just read from the posts that stock shocks should be replaced as fast as possible and now he's into it. So probably he doesn't find anything wrong with it and he doesn't find the ride that bad.

But don't get me wrong. I already have the Rancho RSX installed in mine. It's just that I didn't install it "as fast as possible" because I was trying to be practical. As I said, "If you're practical like me,.."

Dindo in Manila :D

:)

Dindo,

How is having a vehicle that wiggles around and jumps over bumps in a turn "practical"?

It seems to be a safety issue with me.

I recommend changing them for safety's sake.

But that's just me.

:D

You can say that but it's really a matter of preference I guess. Some people here doesn't even know what shock absorbers do. Dale above is even clueless as to what he should expect by replacing the stock shocks. He just read from the posts that stock shocks should be replaced as fast as possible and now he's into it. So probably he doesn't find anything wrong with it and he doesn't find the ride that bad.

But don't get me wrong. I already have the Rancho RSX installed in mine. It's just that I didn't install it "as fast as possible" because I was trying to be practical. As I said, "If you're practical like me,.."

Dindo in Manila :D

This is a classic case of new owners not knowing what they don't know. Upgrading the shocks in the ST is far different than replacing worn shocks in a car. In an auto, worn shocks tend to make the ride a bit bouncier and suspension bottems on bumps. Safety is not affected very much, if at all. However, with the ST and it's high center of gravity, safety is a very big issue when the shocks are too weak for the spring rates. Many here have noted loss of control with factory shocks because the spring oscillations lift the wheels off the pavement. Hit a good bump while turning and the whole truck scitters sideways...not safe. At highway speeds the ST becomes very sensitive to side winds and semi-truck wake turbulance, way to sensitive for me and many others who do not enjoy driving a squirrelly vehicle. Of course, everybody can do what they want and believe what they want. I, for one, decided to listen to the voices of experience here after taking my first highway trip in my ST. I knew from that experience that new shocks were required and I really knew that after I removed the first stock shock at 2,500 miles, practically brand new and virtually no resistence, in other words, no better than a worn out shock. Of all the mods we owners do, the first one, for safety's sake, should be new shocks...period.

Hi Mookie.

Dale didn't mention about wiggling and jumping over bumps.

I have already replaced mine with the Rancho RSX. And I tell you I still can make it wiggle and jump. My point is that you should know your ride so you don't make it wiggle and jump. You don't ride the trac and drive it like a car. If it's unstable at a high speed, then slow down.

Mine was just a suggestion from my practical point of view. But Dale, if you really can't live without replacing the stock shocks that your eyeballs keep rollin' when you drive your trac, go ahead Dale and replace it "as fast as possible".

I agree that replacing the shocks makes the ride safer. But man, if it's a safety issue from the day it was installed, shouldn't there be a TSB? I bought my trac last 2001 and replaced the shocks just mid of last year... Gladly I'm still alive and my trac just has minor scratches but no accidents related to the stock shocks and no accident at all.

Bill and Mookie, I understnad you, really. But I'm coming from another point of view that I thought Dale might consider.

Dale, whether you go replacing the stock shocks now or later, drive the trac safely and know its limitations because it's not a car.

-Dindo

-Dindo

Dindo, you are absolutely correct...the Trac is not a car and no matter what we do to it, it will never handle like a car. So, one has to know that and drive it accordingly. We are also told that we need the EE swaybar. On that i do dissagree. After I put on the Rancho RSX shocks, the ride improved to suit me and my driving style. If I wanted to add more cornering ability to my ST, then I'd have gotten the swaybar. I don't drive that way so didn't need it. As far is side scitter goes; sure I can make it do it. It just shouldn't do it on it's own.

Hi Bill.

Yeah, with the RSX I can still make it wiggle. But I also know how not to and that's just what I do all the time.

But hands down, there really was an improvement in handling especially because I replaced mine after 4-1/2 years when I saw signs that my shocks were really worn out. The ride (again this is a matter of preference) for me was a bit on the rough/hard side. But I can live with it.

Regards,

Dindo

I was hesitant like you guys are before putting on the EE anti-sway bar. Now all I can say is "Oh, what a feeling". I consider the anti-sway bar a safety improvement. If you do not do any off roading you need to put one on. Next to the XCal2 I consider it the best improvement one can do for improving the safety on the ST. :D:D:D

I second the safety vote. When I read the consumer report road test article in early 2004 that the ST was prone to flip if a quick turn is executed, and having experienced that butt wiggling/hopping myself, I immediately ordered new shocks and the EE sway bar. The change was day and night. Best money I spent on the truck, and both can be installed yourself to save a $100 or so.

Good luck and drive safe - the ST ain't no sports car!

Hey!

I off road several times a year, and I've got an EE swaybar and KYB MonoMax shocks.

[Broken External Image]:

The EE swaybar is THE best improvement you can make for the handling performance of your truck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts