Replacement of the ELBOW that every one has had problems with ,NEED HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalton Hill

Reaction score
Ok well i had a check engine light come on last night as i was driving home, so i just went to advanced auto parts to have them pull the code. it was the po171 code. Which i remembered was most of the time that elbow. so i brought it home and looked under the hood of the st and sure enough it was the elbow. i went back to advanced auto parts to get a new one and i found one close to size but i had to cut off the extra that i did not need. I got it on there and i tried starting the trac and it took two times for it to start, it would start and then die. So i drove it some today and it drove fine but i was going to go out to the later today and i tried to start my trac and it did the same thing. is this caused by the elbow, that i put on? or what else could cause this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you reset the battery after changing it out (take off the negative terminal for 5-10 minutes)?

Also, I replaced mine with some heater hose at first and it did the same thing. The heater hose was not strong enough and it was being sucked shut (but it was the best I could do at the moment).. It sounds like you're having a similar issue and I'll bet it's the hose you used..

I suggest you look and see if the elbow is collapsing under suction.

What kind of hose did you get? If you didn't get one strong enough, it may be collapsing as well causing the stall.

Hey I need to replace mine, but the only elbow they had at the carquest here looked to thin, like it would be sucked shut like mine is almost doing now. Is there a part number anyone knows to get one that will work? From Auto Zone or something? I was going to do the PCV valve while Im at it, can I just get it at Auto Zone too, or from the dealer? I want to get the right one so I dont have to do it again in a month or so. I have an 02. Thanks

Latest posts