Replaced the Instrument Panel Bulbs and Adjusted Shift Indicator W/Pics

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I replaced the bulbs in the cluster yesterday. Wasn't too hard but was very slow process. I "highly" recommend removing the shift indicator cable to access the cluster as you may damage the cable trying to remove the cluster.

Since I was into the dash, I decided to adjust the shift indicator cable because I was always between the D and N when in drive or in park the cable was all the way to the left. This is a very simple fix.

[Broken External Image]:

To remove the cable to access the cluster, use a 5.5mm bit. Make sure you you unhook the cable from the metal hook. I recommend using your fingers and no tools, so no chance of cutting the cable. This cable has tension so bring it down slowly. By removing this cable, it allowed me to rest the cluster on the steering column to access the bulbs and your not stretching the cable or damaging the shift indicator. I should note to remember what position your gear shift is in. So I left mine in Drive 1, make sure you install the cable back in the Drive 1 position.

[Broken External Image]:

Notice the indicator is centered in the middle of the D. My indicator was off since I bought the truck new. Wasn't a concern for warranty work just a small quirky thing that bothered me.

Also another tip. If you are not able to remove the wiring harness from the headlights or dimmer switch, I choose to unscrew them from the panel as I was afraid of damaging the harness.

[Broken External Image]:

I choose to replace the bulbs with 194LL by Sylvania. I'm a old school 34 yr old. Plus the LED were a little to bright for me.

I hope this helps others and makes it easier for you. Total time took me 1hr 30m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips AL....

Do a write up with your tips and pics. submit for a project. get a wrench.