remote door lock/unlock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need help. I'm having problems with my remote door lock/unlock system. Sometimes the remote would work to lock or unlock the truck (2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac) and sometimes it won't. I thought it may have been the battery on the remote clicker but after replacing it the problem still exists. One very noticeable symptom is that when locking the vehicle the accompanying horn sound is a lot weaker than what I normally hear. I've never run into this problem before so I don't know where to start looking. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem tonight. Was at work and went out to put some stuff in the trac. Pushed the unlock button on the fob...and nothing. Darn near crapped myself because I have had trouble with the key lock cylinder unlocking with the key. Finaaly got the door unlocked with the key thank God. Made it home and programmed the remote and so far so good. And another thing, late last winter i was at a store after work and had gloves on because it was very cold, punched in the keypad code and nothing. So I try it again and again and evidentally I changed the code some how. On top of that the code I was using was the "factory default code" so now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions for me too?

It could just be the key-fob remote. Usually the intermittent working/not working is a symptom of a weak or bad battery, but it could mean that the electronics in the key-fob are getting weak or the buttons are not making a good contact?

If you have a second Key-Fob remote, try that and see if that works any better. If the other remote works more consistently, I would look at replacing the old remote. You can buy them on eBay fairly cheap, and it never hurts to have a spare.

Also, your new battery might be weak (sit on the shelf for a long time) so if the spare remote works good, you might try switching the batteries and see if the old remote works better...and the spare works worse, I would conclude that you happened to get a bad battery?

...Rich

ALCON,

Sorry for the late response. Found the problem. The ground connector on the positive and negative cables were loose. I had AC work done on the truck and they had to disconnect the battery. Upon reconnecting, they tighten the metal band around the positive and negative terminals but didn't tighten the nut on the ground wires. The ground connection was poor which explains why the horn sound when locking the doors with the FOB sounded weak. I cleaned both terminals and tighten all the connections and it works like normal.

Latest posts