Remarkable young man

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Mac

Reaction score
Nest time I feel sorry for myself I will think of this young man and remember his words. "Sometimes its not the winning that's important"

With over 30 years of public service I know that great kids are no accident, they are the product of great parents. This boy proves that.

Gerry Mac

To make sure I'm getting this right, the wrestler who is afflicted with CP only won because his opponent threw the match?

Why do you see it as nice to let the handicapped wrestler win? Is he fully aware that he won because his opponent threw the match and not because of his own abilities, and that had he been in a proper match he would have been beaten?

How many matches should be thrown so that the handicapped wrestler can have false victories? I thought the reason that we decided to integrate the handicapped with the non-handicapped is so that the handicapped people would feel "normal". This wrestling debacle is obviously not doing that.

At the London Olympics the other runners didn't throw their races so that Oscar Pistorius could win by default. :banghead::banghead:

KL.

Why is it you are such a jerk. You have no compassion for anyone but yourself.. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it you are such a jerk. You have no compassion for anyone but yourself.. IMO

Wow. Not sure I should go near that, except to say that people can't have compassion for themselves. I don't believe in deceiving a handicapped kid or in the cheapening of achievement--I think reward should be earned, fair and square, and this video is the opposite of those beliefs, which is why I have a problem with it.

Lying to a handicapped kid and treating him differently while pretending not to just because he has a handicap isn't compassionate, it is sadistic. I don't go out for that...

From another angle, I'm not seeing how the kid who threw the match is compassionate. Did he really have a choice, he'd be a pariah if he actually won against that handicapped kid, now wouldn't he? The coach of the kid who threw the match said that he picked that kid from his team to wrestle because he "understood" to throw the match.

Is the kid with CP fully aware that he really lost the match? From the video, it doesn't seem like it. If he isn't, some day he'll realize that his "win" was a load of BS and then this whole match will have done more psychological harm than good. Even if he is, the same damaging revelation will happen, I'd bet on it. I'm not sure that the kid who threw the match won't be harmed by it.

I am with KL on this one. Providing the disabled kid a series of false wins is very condescending and disresectful to disabled folks all over who work their butts off to achieve great accomplishments.

Everyone is good at something. Perhaps this kid enjoys wrestling for fun. However, making him appear to be a winner falsely is not good for anyone, including him. Better for the kid to continue to work to improve his strengths and have some REAL success.

KL, I cannot perceive that the phyiscally challenged boy was in any way deceived. Get a grip. What would you have done, kicked

Jim

Most likely the the kid with CP, is an extreme case. He may not, know the difference. I have known a few that were that way. I also know some that are highly inteligent, for CP. My experiance of the ones that were more inteligent had much more motor skills than the kid wrestling. By no means am I an expert. Just personal experiance knowing 4 different kids.

The kid that threw the match. IMO, he had a heart and understood the value, of his actions. Better than those of us watching.....

If the kid with CP's mental abilities are such that he honestly wouldn't understand how it is that he won, then yes, this was a great move on his part, and by all involved.

But if he has the mental capacity to understand that this was a complete farce, I'm fully with KL and Gavin on this one. It shouldn't have happened, and was detrimental to all involved--including even those of you who are too busy gushing over the two kids involved to perceive what actually happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what ever it is. He might be toyaly happy to have partcipated, win or loose.

Reminds me of myself never being picked. Im not mentaly chalenged. When I was picked and allowed to run a base or or make a goal. I was happy about it. We all grew up and thats life. So we picked this issue to peices'....:banghead:

Latest posts