Relocating Bed Divider w/ Extender

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
I would like to relocate the Ford divider forward just enough to clear the folded extender. I liked using the divider to create a "tub" in the back, which the open bars of the folded extender don't do. I was thinking of simply drilling holes to remount the divider. I bought a set of the OEM grommets (part # 1L5Z-99286A70-AA) for a clean install.

The problem is that Ford engineered the divider to sit behind the wheel wells. By moving it forward just a couple inches to clear the extender, the divider rides up on the slope of the wheel well and the whole unit gets elevated a little. This makes it so the pegs at the bottom of the divider won't touch the bed, and in use they are supposed to fit into matching holes in the bed. So, I can't simply drill new holes to make this work.

Has anyone done this before? Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Thanks for any info

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the construction is hollow core, probably extruded or molded plastic with metal latches. I just got back from the hardware store, going to try my idea out on how to mount it. I'll post my results.

Just so I understand.

Is the divider in the way of the extender when you go to swing the extender into the bed?

Also, do you have a factory OEM cover that hinges in the middle?

And, what year is your Trac?

'05 ST with OEM hard tonneau and OEM bed divider. They were not designed to co-exist, using the Ford mounting, you have to choose one or the other. I made some footer blocks that fit into the original holes, and inside the channels.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

This enables the divider to sit higher and lock into place on the bottom (the wheel well makes it ride up so it won't touch the floor of the bed). After the blocks were made and placed, I drilled new holes in the sides of the bed to fit the latching pins on the divider. Now it all works pretty fine. I took the pictures prior to painting the footer blocks so that they show up better.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Final fit before painting the blocks

[Broken External Image]:

Looks cool man...

Todd Z

Latest posts