Regional vs. National accreditation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
In my post yesterday, it was pointed out that the college I anticipate attending is Nationally accredited vs. Regional. I understand the basic differences, pros/cons, etc.

My question is, if you have your degree from a Nationally accredited facility, have you ever had a problem getting hired or promoted? Or, if you're in the position of hiring, has this affected your decision to hire someone?

I don't anticipate pursuing education past the bachelor's degree, so transferring of credits is not a concern for me.

Many thanks in adance,

Bo

I have NO idea how my school is accredited, but I never had an issue.

Show 'em your diploma and that you are educated, you'll be fine.

The school itself, not the accreditation level, has been a factor when I have hired in the past.

As you know, accreditation assures a minimum set of standards are met as defined by the accrediting organization, and as such most schools worth anything will be accredited, nationally or regionally. Most employers I would dare say dont know or care much about accreditation. They simply shop for candidates from well known, reputable, prestigious colleges.

TJR

Lets face it, unless you are a doctor or lawyer, the school you attend really has little bearing on IF you will land a job and by whom. I have been in high level (SVP,VP,EVP and C-level) roles for over 30 years, and the school has NEVER been an issue. It is course of study and the face to face interview... we all assume you are book smart, but what we really care about is business smarts... and that only comes with work experience. Bottom line, pick a school, do your best, and all will be fine. I think to many people concentrate on WHICH school and most should just worry about finishing school. Just my .02

Everything medically related will need to be completed at an accredited school. This is also true of many professions such as lawyers or accountants. Most advanced professions will also require state or national certification following graduation. Wether you go to one school or another typically means very little in the real world, but ivy-league schools do hold advantages when starting out for many big-time law firms, etc. Some employers may give greater consideration to someone that has graduated from their alma-mater. I know in my profession, as long as the school is accredited and a passing grade is achieved for national certification, you can obtain a license as long as you are employed.

Schools are members of the accrediting organizations, and they have to be pretty terribly bad for the accrediting organization to bite the hand that feeds (pays membership dues) to them.

Latest posts