Refueling issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Ciborek

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been having some issues when refueling my Sport Trac, first the automatic shutoff on the pumps rarely works until fuel comes shooting out the filling hole. Every time after I fill up I get a strong gas smell in the cab, even when I catch the pump before it over flows. Lately I keep thinking I smell gas by the left side up the truck by the rear wheel. Can anyone provide any thoughts on this or anything that can check. This is a 2001 2WD 4.0L V6 SOHC EFI.

Thanks

I didn't have the spewing fuel issue, but I smelled gas on drivers side rear of my '03 w/130K for quite some time before I took it to the shop. I looked under at the tank and could see gas slowly running down the side of the tank (Just enough to keep it wet, not dripping). Shop pulled the tank and found a small crack in the fuel pump plastic line. New pump, filter and labor was $697......Independent shop, Ford wanted $1000!

Last edited by a moderator:
May be a plugged fuel vent line or leak in the EVAP system.

Check for a loose/missing hose to the EVAP canister which may be causing the fuel smell.Other possible issues could be a bad gas cap, or a split rubber line from the filler neck,

I recently changed the Gas cap because it kept throwing the tighten gas cap code. I did a quick visual inspection of the filler neck tonight but I didn't see anything. I'll pull the plastic cover in the wheel well and drop the spare and see if I can find anything under there. Thanks for the guidance and experiences.

Latest posts