reflex shocks installed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caymen, you make it sound like Ford did no "engineering" or "design" for the ST, but instead simply slapped the vehicle together with parts left around from other models.

That would explain a lot, I guess.

I'm not saying you are wrong; that Ford didn't reuse the Explorer shocks on the ST. But I would hope that Ford engineers actually considered the ride and handling and ascertained that the shocks would be sufficient. Of course, if they did do that, then I guess it's time for new engineers.

TJR

Anyone know how long your replacement Reflex shocks should last or be expected to last. I am wondering if it's time to replace the Reflexes?

Joseymack

I was in the tire shop on my day off dealing with horse trailer tires and I talked to them about shocks. The head mechanic suggested the Monroe SensaTrac at $295 per set of four. When asked about the Reflex, he said they were "okay" but didn't feel I would need "that kind" of shock unless I did a lot of off roading. He said the price for the Reflex would be half again as much, so about $450. The labor will be $175.

What I'm wondering is this: You all are talking about this issue as a must, but is it truly worth $625 to add Reflex shocks to my Sport Trac?

Seems kind of steep to me. But hey, it's only money and I can't take it with me.

Jerry

$295 is way over priced. You can get the Monroe Reflex's for <$200 w/o shipping. On top of that most places do a buy 3 get 1 free so your looking at more like $150.

I think it was JCwhitney had the Rancho's for a buy 3 get 1 free. The Ranch RSX from what i hear is identically but typically costs more than the Monroe Reflex.

In other words at $295 and $450 your getting hosed!

Hosed? That's kinda what I was thinking too.

I think I'll price them and buy them elsewhere and find someone to put them on. Hopefully for less than $175!

Thanks for the opinion, Richie.

There are more than a few members that would love to help a fellow Sport Trac owner out, if you give your location maybe some one close to you will lend a hand.

it is way to easy to install shocks.i would not pay any one to do it. i looked on the internet for about 2 weeks before i bought my shocks.the cheapest i could find was 175 from autozone.free shipping.

Caymen, you make it sound like Ford did no "engineering" or "design" for the ST, but instead simply slapped the vehicle together with parts left around from other models.

Being that my brothers 1999 Explorer and our 2000 Explorer had the exact same shocks as the Sport Trac has, says that on some items, all Ford did is installed the shocks on it without doing much, if any, engineering.

I can also say that the shocks on our Explorer, though still appeared original, rode very nice with 136,000 miles (at the time) on it. Better than my new Sport Trac with new shocks.

The same goes with the sway bar. The Trac rear sway bar is identical to our 2000 Explorer's sway bar. That is why the Trac sway bar feels like it is not enough. Ford is one of the few 4 door SUT's that has a rear sway bar. Installing the EE sway bar is such an improvment because the OE sway bar is better than nothing, but not as good as it could/should be.

Other items on the Sport Trac, such as the brakes as one example, were engineered for the Sport Trac. There was thought put into those brakes.

Tom

Just Some Guy,

I Googled for a couple of weeks until I found Rancho RSXs on sale, on-line, with free shipping and had them shipped to me. The local Pep Boys charged about $70 to install. The total cost, with installation was around $300. This was in '05 and on my '04.

TJR

I agree-- they didn't do any engineering. I think the accountants selected the shocks, not the engineers.

Latest posts