Recon 3rd Brake Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
I just noticed this morning that the one side (white) LED is flickering when its supposed to be illuminated... Its not that old and this seems pretty pre-mature for failure... is this something that I could fix on my own, or would it be the LED light itself?

I posted a thread about this a while back after I read of others with the same issue.

Apparently this occurrence only happens with the Gen 2/F150 model because I have yet to find anything mentioned from a Gen 1 owner.

Link to threads below:

I had mine on for around six months and the bottom row of whites on the passenger side started flickering. . . . eventually, the row of lights went out.

I contacted Recon and I believe their warranty is only good for 90 days.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I have little to no electrical background, but I figured how hard could it be to test the current, find the faulty piece and replace.

I carefully heated and removed the foam backing, attached a 12v battery and tested.

I found that the middle LED was bad, so I replaced the bulb and retested.

Everything passed the retest, so I reattached the foam and reinstalled the product.

Well, that lasted about a month, so I removed and tested again.

This time, it was difficult to tell which piece was faulty, so I replaced the entire row (I believe it's 3 LEDs) since the row is all on one circuit.

Sure enough, after a couple of months the same row flickered for a day, then went out.

In Summary, I believe the faulty piece is most likely the resistor that controls that circuit.

I'm sick & tired of troubleshooting, so for now I'm just living with the one row of bulbs.

What I eventually plan to do is reinstall the OEM 3rd brake light, but use replacement/direct OEM fit LEDs and VHT to recreate the "smoke" look.

On a side note, I used Recon's Bed/Cargo LEDs to line the interior of my truck bed . . . .

About 3 months later, one of the 6 clusters went out on me . . . .

Although Recon comes highly recommended as the "best" available, I can't say that I'll personally buy another one of their products.

Last edited by a moderator:
I my Recon is doing this as well. I got the Recon because my Bully unit started doing the same thing, so I thought the Bully was bad. Something tells me more than just a bulb going out.

could be fixed... where as a crap product would be unfixable... pretty sure its just a bad connection on the board... i just dont have what i need to fix it

Any product you pay for that doesnt last a year or 2 is crap... why would anyone buy something that they have to fix? That makes no sense at all.

Its not even like this is an isolated incident, sounds like most people here are having the problem.

Latest posts