Recently Purchased Used Ford Tonneau Cover - No Key

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Ragan

Reaction score
Hi group,

I recently bought a used Ford manufactured tonneau cover for my 2001. Installation was easy (once I figured out how to remove the plugs (bend up a side and just hand thread them out)). Suddenly, I realized I made an egregious oversight... I didn't have a key for the cover.

What can I do about getting a key or re-keying the cover? I think re-keying is preferable, but I'm concerned about the cost.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ray

In the past on my Chevy, I've contacted the dealer and with the vin they can order various locks and keys to match my current stuff.

I would think a locksmith would be no more than $50 to work the tumblers and come up with a key...

I bought a used hard tonneau cover with no key and a (semi-complete) tumbler set from one of the members here. I picked the locks to remove them from the lock cylinders, then changed out the tumblers to match my keys, and viola, a perfectly keyed tonneau.

The method to get the lock cores out were pretty confusing. You have to turn the lock inside the cylinder about 190 degrees (just past center) clockwise, pull the core out about 1/4 inch, then 90 degrees counter-clockwise, then pull all the way out. This requires actually picking the lock twice because it passes the tumbler channels twice. Luckily, one of the tumbler channels is open, so you don't have to pick that side, just use a flathead screwdriver to compress the tumblers.

Took me about an hour to get everything apart, the new tumblers selected and installed, and put back in the tonneau.

The typical cost to pick the lock and rekey the locks to fit your Sport Trac's key is about $40. The most difficult part is getting the cable assemblies off the bottom of the lock cylinders.

...Rich

RichardL

How did you proceed to remove the cable assembly? I have been unsuccessful in finding the method for removing the assembly.

Also how do I order the EZlok kit?

rgds,

j

Last edited by a moderator:
I also purchased an used tonneau and needed to have the locks re-keyed, fellow ST owner Teasip gave me this advice on how to remove the tonneau locks:

Pull the metal retaining clip that holds the lock mechanism up against the underside of the cover. Pull the plastic cap off the end of the lock mechanism that has the two cables attached to it with a pair of pliers. You will need to wiggle it off (at least I did). It feels/looks like there won't be enough slack in the cables to allow you to do so but there is. Once the cap is off and the metal clip is removed the lock slides out through the top of the cover.

Hope this helps

Latest posts