Recent car buying dollars off MSRP?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Need some feedback from those of you who have been in the market for a new auto lately. We're looking to replace our Chrysler minivan with a full size SUV, and it's likely going to be an Expedition or an Armada. We like both. My Sport Trac has been excellent. I wouldn't mind being loyal to Ford. But it will come down to the best deal.

Without even opening my mouth to negotiate, I was offered 10K off sticker on an '08 Eddie Bauer Expedition. They were flush with extended length versions of the Expedition; probably 10 of them on the lot. Too big for our needs. The offer was on a regular length version.

I don't know where the Armada is going to come in, so I didn't try to negotiate because I like to be thorough in my research. Anybody know if there is more room to deal on these?

On a side note, for those of you in the north metro Atlanta area, Arrington Blount is now out of business. We stopped by there today; the remaining inventory had just been bought by Akins Ford. Nothing but a couple of caretakers overseeing the final disposition of vehicles. Apparently, Ford is helping consolidate some of these dealerships. Sad. I bought my ST from them in 2000. Great folks, friendly place, but the owners are elderly and don't want to start over again. Can't say I blame them.

Excuse me for butting in, since I have NOT been in the market for a new vehicle, but from what I've read/heard, I'd let it go another month or so.

Supposedly, come February, the real pain of this economic slump will rear it's head. Be it a vehicle, electronic item or basic necessities, Feb will be the time to buy.

Just my thought.

rich,

not so sure i would go with the armada. i had a qx56 that was in my fleet. before i turned it in i used it for a week and was not impressed at all. the ride and build quality was not what i expected in a infiniti. my other experience with nissan/infiniti vehicles were positive.

nissan is offering 0% intrest and i am certain they will discount 3k-5k.

local toyota dealers are discounting 08 sequoia's by 5k-7.5k.

i am still waiting for my 09 4-runner. should be here in feb.

but as you know the bigest discounts will be by the domestics.

good luck in your choice

Last edited by a moderator:
There you go with the Toyota difference again gary s.

Trying to make Tom's head implode???

:D

dave :lol::lol::lol:

i have to get it out now as it is my new years resolution not to mention that brand here :rolleyes:

I've read that the Armada is one of the worst selling vehicles right now, so the deals should abound. Nothing wrong with them, just not the popular item in today's world of changing whims.

Rich.......bet they will meet you at the door with champaign and slippers.:)

ss

Ok gary, but I expect THAT new years resolution will soon wane along with everyone elses!!!

:eek:

Bill, is that a +1 in favor of the Armada, or +1 to the negative impressions being relayed here?

We tested the Armada yesterday. It's pretty impressive. The ride is close to, but not quite as smooth as the Expedition. Handling is very good, particularly the steering feel. The engine is enormously powerful. The acceleration is eye-popping for a 3 ton vehicle; we have a 5000 pound boat/trailer setup, so that is appealing. According to the reviews, the 2008 Armada interior was dramatically refined over early versions. Hadn't seen the earlier versions, so can't comment on those. But the 2008 and 2009 interiors are very roomy, comfortable, and definitely have a quality feel. Pretty much a wash with the Expedition interior. They both are very comfortable vehicles to ride in, with cargo flexibility and towing capacity galore.

We don't put enough miles on a year to worry too much about MPG. Obviously, it will hurt if we're paying $5/gallon, but we typically drive the family vehicle about 10 to 12K a year, and drive less if gas gets really pricey.

2009 Expedition coolest feature: Automatic running boards. Wow! They work really well, make the vehicle look great, aerodynamic, but ready when you need them.

We also stopped at a GMC dealership to see if the Yukon should be included. I was unimpressed. The automotive press tends to rave about the big GM SUVs. From an interior flexibility perspective: Sucks. Seats don't fold flat into he floor. Poor seating height for the 2nd and 3rd rows. Interiror is fugly.

The Toyota is too damneed expensive. The Durango/Aspen are too small inside.

I also read that the Armada is currently one of the worst selling vehicles. Not because of quality but because of its size, cost of fuel and down economy. You should be able to get a good deal. In the same article it said the current best deal out there is for the Hyundai minivan. It has the most features and quality for its price.

I have a friend with one, he loves it. We went to Fla with them and it was comfortable. GAS MILEAGE SUCKED. I miss our Expedition. Same basic gas miles too. I'd go with the EXPI... It was better inside.

Personally I would go with the Expedition. As a person who works on these things everyday I would go with an Expedition. Ford has really nailed the Expedition, never really see anything go wrong with these. Nissan never really hit their mark with the full size truck/suv market. We get alot of them in the shop for brake issues, cooling system issues adn overall little things breaking in the interior. Personally I think Nissan has a build quality issue on these.....just my 2 cents worth

On different blogs and such. I have heard of alot of Qaulity complaint problems with the Aramada. As Gavin said they look Goofy...

Without even opening my mouth to negotiate, I was offered 10K off sticker on an '08 Eddie Bauer Expedition.

Ignore the sticker. Find out the dealer invoice and work down from there.

Negotiate your trade separately. My 2 pennies worth.

Kelly

Latest posts