recall notice for my 2002 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Cohn

Reaction score
I have a 2002 ST and just received a recall notice for the SCDS (Speed Control Deactivation Switch). They said if it malfuntions it could cause an underhood fire. What is this, and is this anything I should be concerned about?

take that letter and head to the dealership.(have the make a copy for you to keep)

if it's a recall, they should fix it free.

It is something that has been going around for a while. Only a very small percentage actually caused fires. About the same odds as getting hit by lightning.

Call your dealer and get it taken care of.

Tom

Just make sure yours leaks, because the ones that don't leak just get a patch (fused jumper harness that is designed to give out). The ones that leak get fixed correctly (a redesigned switch).

A few drops of brake fluid on the outside of it will make it look like it is leaking...wont it?

Tom

is on top of the master Cylinder, you will not see any fluid as the leak is internal as the membrane erodes.

If you have the all black switch your good to go,If red, get it replaced.

I asked my dealership about this in early August 2007, and called back time after time asking if they got the parts in. I even called Ford and filed a formal complaint. It got me nowhere.

I got another letter yesterday, and called them again. They have the parts now, but never called me. (go figure...) In any case, During the past 9 months I asked them repeatedly to replace the switch and I would be happy, but they refused to do so. (I have the red one)

I am really wondering about taking Tom's suggestion and adding a few drops of brake fluid to the switch terminals just before I take it up there on Saturday to get my Fuse Harness installed. If I use a few drops of fluid from inside the master cylinder, it would look like old fluid leaking out the terminals on the switch. I figure if they just slap on the harness, I can pop the hood when I pick it up and ask the service writer to show me what they did. "just being curious" When he points to the harness, I can say "why does that connector look like its wet?" and take my cue from there..... No... I dont like to be dishonest, but I have been waiting since August and they didnt even call me when the parts came in, so it kind of ticked me off. (OK, perhaps this needs to be under "Rants" .. )

Dave

Thanks Bill, I was just venting.. I wouldn't be that dishonest, but my dealership sure let me down by not calling me right away.. I've purchased 4 vehicles from them in the past 6 years, and I guess I need to remind them of that. (They've had the parts for 2 weeks now.)

a run 02, I hope you got it fixed!

And Dave I agree,

I do not know why dealerships can not compose and maintain a list of customer with phone numbers to contact them, when the safety parts run out and come back in. I guess that's too simple to think about and creates too much paper work ( even though, a simple word documents would work) I would think SAFETY would be FIRST before anything. With recalls, Ford Motor Company would not have sent warning /recall letters saying to get in to fix it if it was not an issue.

I further believe that when it's a RECALL ...Let the dealerships FIX IT. So that it is documented with Ford. If it fails for any reason, Having the Ford Trained Techs do the fix ...take you out of the equation should the part or fix fail.

In other words, Ford would not be able to blaim it on OWNER INSTALL ERROR.

That's just a CYA tip when it comes to recalls

Dave, fill out a Blue Oval survey when you get in to have it fixed. voice the concern of them not contacting you or refusing to repair it. (they should have at least put some sort of temporary fix in place for safety measure and they could have called around to other dealerships to see if they had the part)

There are Dealerships, all over the country, all they have to do is resarch just a tiny bit to get numbers of dealerships further away in their own state and maybe some neighboring states and CALL to ask if they had one! (heck they could have had the receptionist do some of the calling)

Too bad folks can't buy from Ford Direct and have to rely on Ford Dealerships. (the middle man)

Just a few extra small steps from Dave's dealership would have kept him Safe, happy and probably keep him as a repeat customer. I do not know why most dealership folks don't think ahead.........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::angry:

I had that fusible link added to my 96 E250 van a couple of years ago. Then, just before I sold it, there was a recall on the recall. They want it back to do it over again with different parts. No wonder the are loosing money!

Ask for the permanent fix. Did that at my dealer, and once they saw it was only a $20 part, agreed to do that instead of the jumper. I checked the work afterwards and they did the correct, permanent fix.

Make sure you get the other two recalls taken care of while you're there (driver's side seat bolt and fuel tank vent hose).