Reasonable Expectation on 03' 4.0L V6

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Zabski

Reaction score
I'm trying to get some opinions as to reasonable "trouble free" mileage on an 03' V6 4.0L engine in an Explorer. Assume normal New England climate conditions and well maintained vehicle over all, oil changes every 3-5k, normal driving (adult parent with kids), etc.

TIA.

Not sure exactly what type of info you are looking for, but to give you an idea, I traded my '03 ST in Sept with 97K trouble-free miles. Granted, I'm in FL, so the weather extreme here is heat, and my ST was a boat hauler and the engine and tranny were put under a lot of stress. I did all the regular maintenance and changed out the fluids at all the proper intervals. I have confidence that my ST could have lasted a LONG time. I only traded it to get a vehicle that could a larger offshore boat which will be purchased next spring.

Keep in mind though, that others are not as lucky. As with all vehicles, there are always going to be ones that just don't last. I am lucky that I had a great ST.

Last January i got $10,000 trade with 40k miles on my 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4x4 with leather which was $500 over what the book said was the trade in value at the time. This in the midwest/chicago region where, used cars were selling pretty good due to the economy and there was snow on the ground.

Hope that helps .

203,000 miles on my 2003, with only the oil/filters, belt, and spark plugs/wires changed. Oh, and the Idle Air Control at about 35,000 miles under warranty.

Latest posts