Reasnoably priced exhaust system

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd D

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, been a long time since Ive posted.

Anywho, I think I can no longer get away with throwing welding wire, gear clamps and soup cans at my exhaust and its time to break down and get a new one.

Sooo..can anyone suggest a resonably priced, not too loud cat back system??, I do have a bit louder than stock muffler right now, but I dont want it to make me deaf either, lol.

What about the Gibson one, it seems to be the most reasonable, or any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers, Todd

I would think the magna-flow muffler is the quietist. Chepest way IMO. Buy the muffler and find a good shop to build a single exhaust system. Place the muffler as far back as possible. Cuts down on cab drone.

Gibson has been said by some to be loud.

What muffler do you have now?

i had the magnaflow cat-back on my 04 and 07.

i really enjoyed it on my v-8 07 as i thought the sound was awesome and the interior noise was at a minimum. if i remember, i think i paid about 400 for it from performance peddler.

i liked it on my 04 as well, but i thought the interior noise was a little much at times.

good luck

Todd, I have on my '03 a Thrush Welded Muffler and piped straight out the back. Total for it was $135. $40 for the muffler, $30 for the tip, and $75 for the shop to hook it all up and run it out the back. Not loud at all in the cab, but sounds real good out from under the rear bumper.;)

thrush still sounds good with all the pre cats and cats on the ST??? i havent built an exhaust system yet cause i was under the impression i needed to buy the Random Technologies Y-pipe and high flow cat to make it worth my time.. feel free to chime in guys. i've got a delta flow 40series, 50series, and a few other mufflers in the garage i'll put on this weekend if it'll be worth it.. I spent 6months buying and swapping mufflers around on my 66mustang til i found the one i liked lol...got a collection goin over here.:cool:

I think I have a cherry bomb on now, not the big old red one, but a regular looking muffler under the cherry bomb name.

Maybe I should just look at piecing one together. Gibson was $312 on ebay or Summit U.S., things aint cheap here in the great white north, so I,ll see if I can piece it together cheaper.

Thanks, Todd

Hey Todd... you might check with an exhaust shop. I had a nice catback custom welded for 300 with a magnaflow muffler. Nice system and much better that a bolt on.

My Gibson cost about $350 from Summit, I thought it was kinda loud inside the cab so I bought another chrome tip with a silencer at AutoZone for about $25. It's more like it's loud under load. Just me alone isn't too bad but put a few passengers in and it gets louder. No, my wife and daughter are not fat.

The Welded Thrush Muffler sounds really good to me. Not the Turbo Series. The Welded one has a really nice tone. I had a Flowtech Raptor (to "ricey" of a tone for me) on there before and it only lasted 1 1/2 years before rusting out from the roadsalt here in Pa. It only cost me $20 so no biggy. The Thrush I have now was only $40 and I think the Stainless version cost about the same as the Flowmasters. Just looked under there the other day and it doesn't have a spot of rust on it. Mine has the OEM cats, but the OEM resonator was removed when the ran it straight out the back. I do have a Flowtech Rsonated Dual Outlet tip on it though.:D;)

BTW, I have sound clips of the Flowtech Raptor (marked "Exhaust") and the Thrush (marked "thrush") in my library.;)

Eddie said:

I would think the magna-flow muffler is the quietist.

I found that the Flowmaster 70 Big Block was the quietest on the market when I did mine about 4 yrs. ago, but that may have changed. I went with a cat back single-in / duel-out for about $350.

Here are the 3 quietest ones from Flowmaster Muffler website:

50 Series SUV Performance - Three Chamber Mufflers

The SUV/Performance muffler is a larger version of Flowmasters 50 Series Delta Flow muffler and is specially designed for trucks, light SUVs and high horsepower vehicles. The larger H-chamber reduces interior resonance to a minimum. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

50 Series Big Block - Three Chamber Mufflers

The 50 series "Big Block" muffler is our largest muffler for tow vehicles, trucks, large Sport utilities and Recreational Vehicles. This muffler is made for more than just big cubic inch engine applications. It has a very large H-Chamber to reduce interior resonance in large cab areas of vehicles and enough case volume to handle engines under heavy loads. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

70 Series Big Block II - Three Chamber Mufflers

The 70 Series "Big Block II" uses a large case for increased volume and added sound reduction that will still fit many applications that our 50 series "Big Block/HD" muffler won't fit. It utilizes Flowmaster's patented "Delta Flow" technology for maximum efficiency and reduction of interior resonance. Use on high performance street cars, trucks, SUV's, RVs and tow vehicles. Constructed of 16 gauge aluminized steel and fully mig-welded for maximum durability.

Last edited by a moderator:
mike MuddySt said:

thrush still sounds good with all the pre cats and cats on the ST??? i havent built an exhaust system yet cause i was under the impression i needed to buy the Random Technologies Y-pipe and high flow cat to make it worth my time.. feel free to chime in guys. i've got a delta flow 40series, 50series, and a few other mufflers in the garage i'll put on this weekend if it'll be worth it..

mike,

I started my exhaust mod with a single-out FM Delta-Flow 40. Had that installed w/a single out tailpape all the way back with the resonator removed. It sounded great. Very deep tone, but not too loud in the cab. I even got a compliment on the sound from a Corvette driver at a stoplight. He also asked if I had a V8 in the Trac. That's just how good the "Flowmaster Sound" is. Just last summer I added the R/T Y-Pipe and high-flow cat, and it sounds even better! I get lots of compliments on the sound, and folks regularly assume that I have a V8 under the hood.

So I say go ahead and install the FM DF-40! You won't be disappointed!:cool::banana:

i have a hooker areochamber muffler on mine and it sounds shweeet, i am also selling a brand new one (same part # as the one on my truck) for 80.00 shipped ( 23453 ) let me know if you are interested?

Latest posts