Rear window

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Shelley

Reaction score
2001 ST the back window is partially open (one push of the button for vent.) Now the window is inoperative, not going up or down. Fuses are all good. Looked through the Projects for some help, found nothing. This has been discusssed earlier on the site. How about some help.

Dennis- FAQ (Electrical) "How Do I Reset the Rear Power Window".

Last edited by a moderator:
You can lookup the procedure for resetting but as with alot of the 2001's, mine included, you will probably have to replace the motor. The electronics in alot of the '01's failed. In the meantime, the motor can be removed to crank the window up and reinstalled to hold it up. There is a perforated spot in the compartment behind the passenger side seat that will give you easy access to the motor.

Just replaced the motor in my Job 1 '01 as well. Failed at about the 100,000 mile mark and got the new motor from Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com. Make sure you also do the initialization procedure after you install the new motor.

BIG THNKS to all that helped, you guys are good. Will try the reset and then go for the motor. Big question when replacing motors I always go BIGGER. Is there a bigger, more powerful and faster motor???

Just replaced my 01 sport trac rear window motor with 105k , just search fleabay on "NEW 00 01 02 03 04 05 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC WINDOW MOTOR" sells for $45 new plus shipping. Read the procedures , then take a volt meter and check your dash button at the connector just before the motor. You'll find the pinouts with a little searching, but the jist of it is there's a pin thats 12v all the time and a 12v pin when you switch your key on and the rest are grounds which are switched by the dash button when you turn it or push it. My switch tested ok so I needed a motor. Most likely its the motor so for $45 and shipping best bet is to order it if checking voltage is not your thing. If you find the procedure to remove the motor, you can raise the window up by spinning the spool after the motor is removed. Just make sure you split the motor from the spool and leave the spool in tact. Hope this helps, my window runs like a champ and is one of the features I like the most!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to Sal A. The manual quote he provided was all I needed. Did the reset as perscirbed, and all is good. no bucks out of my pocket. I do owe Sal A a pint at the local pub.

Latest posts