rear window questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Doogle

Reaction score
I hid a couple of Christmas presents in the compartment behind the left rear seat of my '01. I didn't notice it on Christmas eve, but the next day my daughter wondered how Santa got the corner of her book wet. I can only assume that it happened while hidden in the Trac. Is there a known problem with the rear window leaking? I haven't noticed anything before, but I haven't been looking either.

Also, why does the rear window sometime refuse to go back up if it was extremely wet when it went down? It cost me a very cold ride to work the other day.

Not to dispute your assumption that the book got wet in the Trac, but just to be sure.... could it have gotten wet anywhere else? Like under a live tree, that has to be watered? Or do you have a dog or other pet in the house that could have, um, gotten it wet?

That aside, I've not had any problems with mine, but then I haven't looked either.

Sorry. I get in trouble for playing devil's advocate all the time, but I just had to ask.... :)

I had my rear window not go up once. Also it was right after it rained. What I was able to do was have my wife push the button for up and I pulled the window past the point where it was getting the most resistance. It hasn't done it since though. Since those windows have the safety feature to stop going up in case a kids or pet gets in there, it stops and goes back down when it experiences difficulty. I will try and find my old post.

Edit: I found my old post but it doesn't have as much info as I remember. Try searching using "rear window" and it along with a bunch of others will come up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hade XM radio installed - the tech ruined the gasket around the 3rd brake/cargo light when removing the lens to lead the wire from the antennae. I didn't relaize what he had done until a couple of good rain and snow storms led to water leaking into rear seat area. Further looking revealed he slopped some silicone around the crumpled gasket and reset it. Lousy job. Went to Ford- couldn't buy the gasket without the whole lens - $47.00 - ouch. Bought camper seal gasket and made my own.

i had the same problem with my '01 ST...i brought it back to the dealer i bought it from and they had their guy come in and re-seal the rear...the guy that did it said that hes had to do it on a couple ST's around the area...my advice is to bring it to a ford dealer and have a tech do it...not to say that everyone that does it themselves cant do it right its just so that if it hapens again the dealer will take care of it...jsut to let you know for me...it wasnt presents that got ruined it was a kenwood 800 watt amp and a 400 dollar vertex moble radio!!! get it fixed!!!

That sucks. Mine has almost 50,000 on it. Hopefully it will be not so notorious but this is good to know so I can keep an eye on 'em.

Latest posts