Rear wheel bearing ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TowTrac

Reaction score
I need to change out my rear wheel bearings, Do I need to take the axle apart(differencial cover) off in order to removed the bearings? I can do the front bearings no problem so I'm pretty handy with tools but not interested in taking my dif apart. I know you need special tools for the rear bearings which I can get but my main concern is taking the rear axle apart to pull the bearings, and advice is appreciate. Thanks,

John

You will have to pull the cover. remove the cross pin, spiders and thrust washers. Then the axle keepers and spiders. brake calipers and rotors if you have disc brakes.

Seal and bearing puller.

This is simple basic info for a gen1.If you havent done this before you might want to pay someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at the video linked below. I rate myself as an intermediate-level DIYer, but think this job is above my skill level. Let us know what you decided for this fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the bearings go the shaft of the axle may be no good just did mine my seal was leaking shaft was good and had to do pinion seal too

Thanks guys, I had a shop do it. alot of parts were shot but they gave me a great deal on labor. thanks for the heads up, really appreciate it.

Latest posts