Rear vent window not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris Varner

Reaction score
My Rear vent window will not work. I have replaced the Motor and switch. I am getting power back to the motor. Does anyone have any Idea what I can do next.

There is an initialization procedure to set the window operation. It has been peviously posted in the forum.

EDIT: I tried searching but I didn't have any luck in finding the procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
From searching the site, and found the re-initialization instructions from kefguy.

(http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=740158&REPLYCOUNT=12&sitename=mysporttrac)

-- snip -- from link above -- snip ---

a. Start with the ignition key in the OFF position.

b. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.

c. Press the rear window glass control switch vent button six times.

d. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

e. Press the rear window glass control switch vent button six more times.

f. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. At this point the rear window glass will move up and down approximately 20 mm (0.8 in). This movement signifies that the rear window glass motor has entered into the initialization mode.

Note: The rear window glass control switch must be held in the up or down position until the window glass stops moving. Failure to hold the switch will end the initialization operation. Then initialization will have to be re-started.

g. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full up position until the rear window glass stops in the full up position.

Note: If a repair is to be carried out on the rear window glass release the rear window glass control switch when it reaches the desired position. This will end the initialization operation.

h. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full down position until the rear window glass stops in the full down position.

i. Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full up position until the rear window glass stops in the full up position. At this time the window will move up and down approximately 20 mm (0.8 in) signifying the rear window glass motor is initialized.

-- snip -- from link above -- snip ---

I have the same problem.

I followed the procedure, but it did not seem to do anything. Once, the motor made a small click, but the window did not move at all.

I check the connector on the motor. The two larges wires have 12 V on them. So, I figure the motor is getting power.

My diagnoses (so far) is that the motor is broken.

I was wondering if their was a way to manual raise and lower the rear window? I was thinking I could use this to check if the window was jamming. Altough, if it was jamming, I would figure that the motor would be making more noise.

Does anyone have instructions for replacing the rear window motor? and maybe a diagram?

Peter,

Look in my library for pictures to access the motor - it's behind the right rear passenger seat. There's a gray-ridged plastic cover over the motor that just pulls off. It's just held on by some adhesive, but be careful because the cover is really flimsy. The motor's held on by three bolts to the regulator. If the motor's not working, you have to take it out in order to raise and lower the window. After you take the motor out, you'll need to figure out something to put in the regulator to turn it - I didn't have anything that fit exactly, so I jammed a 3/8"-to-1/2" socket adapter, shimmed by some hexhead wrenches, to crank it up until my new motor came in.

BTW, put the motor back in until the new one comes in, so it will stay up. Otherwise it'll keep sliding down.

I pulled the window motor, and replaced it with a new one (rev.2) from Ford. As soon as I followed the initialization procedure (which came with the new motor and noted above), the window worked just fine.

Thank's for the help. It was not hard to fix at all. The motor was broken.

Now I can continue the glass replacement with Safelite from my other tread.

Thank You to everyone that has posted a response. It has help out alot. Please see other question on Rear window regulator.