Rear Suspension options

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary C

Reaction score
I'm looking for some education and opinions on my options. I have a 2005 4x4 Sport Trac that is totally stock with 77k miles. I carry my sportbike to the race track several times a year. Otherwise it is mostly a daily driver.

I want my Trac not to sag when carrying a 400lb plus load in the bed. I don't want to lift or lower it abnormally. If I gain an inch or so for improvement that is different.

What are my best cost to improvement options?

Replace the leaf springs?

Replace the shocks with stiffer version?

Replace the shocks with shock/spring helpers?

I don't have any experience with truck suspension. But am a decent mechanic and a quick learner.

add a leaf. Mine cost $35 bucks. Added about 1-1.5 inches of lift in the rear and raised the payload in the bed about 500 lbs

I have an air bag system from a company called "Air-Lift". You run 10 PSI when not carrying a load. Your vehicle looks 100% stock and rides stock too. Add up to 100 PSI of air and you get 1000 lbs of lift. You can also use it to give your vehicle that perfect rake.

Tom

+1 on airbags ... extra leafs will stiffen ride

Long time, no post Caymen!! welcome back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Long add a leaf for around $90 - labeled for a '97 F150. The short one would likely be too stiff for your liking but the long leaf probably wouldn't have much noticeable ride quality difference.

or

Monroe load adjusting shocks or Monroe Max Airs. I'd go with one of these since you can maintain the height you want and only "raise" it when loaded.

Thanks for the replies. I'll search ALL the options you have replied with and make an informed decision. So far a leaf sounds like the direction for me. My trac is a little bouncy anyway so a little stiffness could help. (not saying my shocks are blown, just a little more bouncy wouldn't hurt to stiffen slightly)

Suggestions on websites for leafs?

One of our members used the monroe sensatrac w/coil overs. He said, for the small amount of extra weight, they were perfect. Unloaded he said, the ride was good.

IMO, the extra leaf maybe overkill for you. Plus stiffer leafs will be bouncy stiff, when unloaded.

Well I changed out the rear shocks with the Monroe Sensatracs. Wasn't hard at all. Truck sits like a hot rod at the moment. I'll be upgrading the front shocks sooner than later in light of this change. FYI after 77k the rear shocks were so soft that I could almost compress them with a single finger. Those leaf springs hide poor suspension very well. So that's the update for now.

Latest posts