Rear sping shackles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Shelley

Reaction score
Trying to replace the rear spring shackles on my 2001 ST. Got the bolt out of the spring/shackle. However the bolt that connects the shackle to the frame is frozen (rusted) in the tube that holds the bushing. The whole assembly spins in the frame. The outer metal tube ring that hold the bushing spins in the frame. So any ideas how to get this out?? The Ford manual only goes as far as removing the spring. It does not cover replacing this bushing.

If someon has been through this the help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I had to cut mine out and use a torch, sawzall, airgrinder with cutoff wheel, all were used.

Big PITA. I do have extra bolts though if you need them.

for jeffksf: did you remove the entire bushing assembly?? Or just the inner metal tube and rubber bushing??? Where did you buy the replacement parts??? On-line, local parts store or at the Ford dealer???

thanks for the help, I think you have the answer I need.

I bought them from a ford parts distributor that is a sponsor here.

I have the exact part numbers at home. Or do a search here for my topic on them. I know I posted the part numbers in that topic for reference.

I also used a ball joint press tool to press the old ones out. the bushings have an outer metal shell, rubber, and inner metal spacer. You might want to look into energy suspension for replacement bushings as well.

I can get you the Ford part numbers when I get home.

Many thanks to jeffksf for his input. The ball joint press was the best tool for this. Also the drill and bits to drill out the old rubber bushing. No local parts shaop had the part, My Ford dealer flew in the part for next day delivery, most excellant.

No way the new bushings would go without the ball joint press.

thanks for all the help, you make me smile. :supercool: