Rear shackle broke

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So the passenger side rear shackle rusted thru and broke. I did the other side 2 winters ago. Should go quicker now that I have done 1 already. Thanks to a member here who sold me his used old factory shackles.

Here is what 13 years of Ohio winters do to cars. Passenger side leaf spring shackle. I did the drivers side 2 winters ago. Waiting on bushings to install the new (used) one. New bushings needed because I had to cut the old bolts and destroy the bushings to get them out of coarse.[Broken External Image]:

@jeffksf

We're Twins! My passenger shackle is broken also but on both sides so the leaf is up against the frame. I have the new bushings, bolts and shackle but with another cold snap headed my way for the entire week I won't be getting to it anytime soon.

I did the other side last year and just like you said I had to cut bolt on the frame bushing, press it out and install new one. I was fortunate that I was able to remove the leaf spring bushing bolt so I didn't have to replace that bushing. I am prepared for both on the other side though.

Like you said, it should be much quicker this time.

Good luck and keep the skin on the knuckles!

I'm waiting for the bushings so I'm driving with the spring sitting on the frame now, squeaky truck. Yeah I here you about the cold. I removed everything Sunday (it was In the 30s) so when I get the parts I can put it together quickly. I did grease the frame contact point but it still squeaks pretty good.

Hey, maybe you can try that new Trojan personal lubricant they're advertising on TV to stop the squeak. If that doesn't work either, then at least you'll have a pleasurable sensation each time you go over a bump.

Latest posts