Rear Limited slip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Dumont

Reaction score
OK Guys, I got a 05 SPort trac 4x4 open rear end with 4.10 gears and Im looking for a limited slip? Anyhelp where to get a descent price one and what kind? Dont know the spline count or anything!

-Big D

Big D,

Check your axle code on the inside of your drivers door. If it has a D2 code for axle then you already have a 4.10 Limited slip on your Trac.:banana::supercool:

Your rear axle is a 31 spline 8.8". I would recommend either the OE Ford limited-slip, a Detroit True Trac (same as the Ranger FX4 Level II has), or a Powertrax No-Slip. Prices are about the same wherever you look.

The Ranger uses a Zyxel Torsen(R) differential, which is the original (and IMHO still best) worm gear torque biasing differential. The Torsen is certified for use with ABS and ABS-related traction control and stability systems. Torsen differentials also come from the factory in the SVT Focus and most Audi Quattro versions.

The Eaton TrueTrac is based on the Torsen design (Vernon Gleasman's Torsen patents have long since expired), and is a fine product. It's cost is less than a genuine Torsen from the Ford Racing Performance Parts inventory. IIRC it has only slightly less torque bias ratio than the Torsen T-2 (not T-2R though), so it does offer a little better value in that respect.

Both worm gear products have an advantage over the more common clutch-type limited slip differentials ("Traction-Lok") that come from the factory. But if you prefer the more conventional LSD, I recommend the more rugged Eaton product. I'd stay away from cone-style (Auburn) products, as they have a reputation for wearing out often.

Remember that the Ford 8.8" solid axle design uses c-clips to keep the axles in place. You must choose a replacement for your open differential that supports c-clips, or purchase a c-clip eliminator kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts