Rear Drum Conversion

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I've searched and I have found out that it is indeed possible to swap the drums for discs.

I haven't been able to piece together how difficult it is and all the parts that are needed to do it.

I'm doing it mainly for looks.

Also can a 2WD be converted to 4WD easily, or would it be cheaper to have just bought a 4WD from the beginning?

I did the rear disk conversion, I used the Ford Motorsports kit and it has everything you need, except the new hard and soft brake lines you need to buy.

A 4wd drive conversion I would say is out, unless you do a SAS like I did.

Brendon,

Click the wrench next to my name. I was the first to convert the drums to disks. Not hard at all and the kit is a real bargain in the grand scheme of things.

Tom

Thanks for the replies everyone. Doesn't look like the swap will be as hard as I thought since there is a kit made for this already. Caymen, how much was the kit from Ford? Chad was exactly is an SAS? I have an Taurus SHO and that terminology to me means saggy ass syndrome...lol

"SAS" Solid Axle Swap i cut the entire front drivetrain out of my ST and put a Dana 44 axle up front.

You can read about it here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254382

Last edited by a moderator:

Caymen, how much was the kit from Ford?

You can piece a kit yourself, but it was much easier to just buy a kit. The kit only costs about $380.00. It includes calipers, brake pads (crappy riveted pads, that is why I did not use them), bolts, brackets, rotors, etc. For the price, it is a great bang for the buck.