Rear Driver's Side Window Inoperative

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
I did a search without success. My driver's side rear door window stopped working on my 2005 XLT. Neither switch (driver's door, rear door) get any response. I assume that since all the other windows work fine, it is not a fuse problem(?).

The lock function on the L/R door works.

New motor or is there something else I should try first?

Thank you.

Keep trying the switch. Mine on my '05 has quit a couple of times. I kept punching the switch and eventually it started working. Just the contacts, I suppose.

I took my motor apart, cleaned it and put it back in and it has worked fine ever since. You will probably have to drill out the rivets that mount it to the door to remove it. Use 1/4-20 bolt & nut to reattach it.

OK...it has been warm and I could not get the L/R window to work with either the driver's switch or the door switch. Nothing. I was ready to have a new motor installed.

Today it was cold in the AM and, of course, the window worked fine. So, does that give any clue to what the problem might be? It is a little noiser than the opposite side mirror, but unless you were specifically listening for it you would not notice it.

:huh: :wacko:

Cold shrinks things, heat expands them. Temperature is a common element to affect electrical items.

Basically, it is a connection issues, though it many not be in the traditional sense. It may be inside the motor or at the switch.

The rear windows do get their power through the front left switch. So,,, if you have issue with only the rear windows, the common link is the drivers side switch.

Now the sound is gone, it is working great. I'm going to try to use it every time I get in the truck and see what happens. If it crops up again, I'll look at the switch panel on the driver's door and clean the contacts, etc.

Wow must be an issue for the 05 xlt's. Mine quit working for a few months. Didn't do anything to it but now it has been working for the past several months just fine. Oh well. Currently my fog lights don't work(my fault), my cruise control is not working? and my door lock keypad is not working?