Rear Drive shaft?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Butler

Reaction score
A while back I had a topic about a vibration, and I finally got time to put my truck up on the rack with a mechanic below me as well, at 50 mph lifted, you can hear a horrid rattling from the drive shaft. Further investigation show where (It looks like a hammer) a dent was put into my driveshaft. What I would like to know, because I cannot find a "Rear driveshaft" anywhere, is there a front and rear driveshaft on a sport trac or is it just a Front? A wee bit frustrating :banghead:

Thanks,

Dan

Maybe I am not understanding what you are asking, that said...

If your Trac is a 2WD then it has ONLY a rear drive shaft.

If your Trac is a 4WD, then you have BOTH a front and rear drive shaft.

Bent mine mudding when gravity pulled me on top of a {big} rock. local junkyards didnt have one but got me one within 3 days for a 1/3 of the price of a new one.

Thanks Joe and Don, you both actually hit the nail on the head with my question. lol :haveabeer:

I'm not sure what I hit. I know i accidentally drove through a ditch a decent while back at a fair because all the guests along with myself were parked in a field. That may have done it lol.

Would this be correct? I checked rockauto but they only have a front driveshaft.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a little bit of a discount. I asked there and the cost was 335 or something without tax, so I turned that down instantly.

Hmmm...maybe that is what I am hearing from my truck. Driving down the highway I can hear it if I am driving next to the center barrier. Haven't done much off roading or anything...

:banghead:

It might be the U-joints on your driveshaft going. Thats what my first step was which fixed everything for the most part, but unfortunately it wasnt the actual culprit. Check to see if any weights fell off or if there are any dents in your shaft.

If you have to replace the shaft. Go for the aluminum one. They are lighter and seem to balance smoother on our tracs.

Many members had balance problems with the steel shaft on the gen1. The aluminum shaft solved it.

Absolutely agree with Eddie.

To drive this home, the steel one had a TSB on it and Ford replaced it with the aluminum shaft..

Thanks for the tips. I actually just ordered a driveshaft. The one I ordered isnt aluminum unfortunately, but if it fails I'll look into the aluminum shaft. :banana: