Rear disc brakes 03ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I replaced the rear pads and rotors about a month ago because it appeared as the right rear had seized up and chewed hard into the rotor, course I had 60K on the pads so I wasn't too sad. Well last night when I got home both rears stunk like crazy and were hot enough to smolder a piece of paper held against the rotor, I could've cooked dinner on those bad boys. I have the plastic pistons on the rears. Anyway this morning things were fine when I got to work, I could immediately touch the rotors. Thoughts??:smack:

Sounds like the calipers are sticking in their slides. This was a very frequent problem with my '07 Trac. I had both rear calipers replaced under warranty at seperate times, and had to take the Trac into the shop frequently to get the brakes freed up and lubricate the ways.

So far my '10 hasn't had any problems, but I only have 4,000 miles on it so far.

Everytime you cahnge your brakes you should take the sliders out of the calipers, clean the rust and old grease out and regrease them with. I found this out the last time I did my brakes and the rear sliders were seized with a to of rust debri inside the slider rubber gromets. It's easy to do yourself and most shops don't do it.

Ditto, on the sliders. Also did you open the bleeders when pushin the pistons back in? The old fluid should be pushed out. Did the pistons go back with ease? If not there maybe rust inside the bottom of the caliper. They might have stuck in the clamping position. Sounds as if that is what happened in the first place.

You may need to tear down again and inspect the calipers.

Yeah pistons went back in no problem at all on both sides. Its prob time for a full truck fluid change. I am just in an apartment so its usually begging for garages of friends to work on her. Ill def grease the sliders soon. Just plain ol auto grease? Thanks for the replies!

No, you need to get grease that is made for brake sliders and parts. Other types of grease gum up too fast from the dirt and rust along with the grease just breaking down and turning gummy. I can't remember the name of the grease/lube but the parts store will show you if you ask, just make sure you tell them it's for the sliders.

:banana:

Yes you can rebuild the calipers. They are easy. I would take them apart first. Inspect pistons and the wall of the caliper. If there is damage to the phenolic pistons or extreme rust in the metal. The pistons have very little clearance. I would buy rebuilt replacments with a warranty.

Eddie is correct, calipers are fairly easy to rebuild, however the parts (seals, O-rings, etc) tend to cost as much as remanufactured calipers. Over the years I have found that remanufactured calipers from parts stores like Napa, AutoZone, etc. are as good as brand new, and come with 50K to lifetime warranties. For the past 25-30 years I only by remanufactured calipers and have never encountered a problem. I have purchased some for as little as $19.99 each w/exchange....That is kind of hard to beat.

...Rich

Richard, I agree. But if a piston is not needed. I have bought the o-ring and dust seal as cheap as $6. Wasnt the trac though.

Latest posts