Rear Disc brake conversion, first normal drive.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
As many of you know, last year, I got a rear disc conversion kit. Over the weekend, I finally had enough time to install the kit. After driving with it on a normal routine, my thoughts.

The Trac feels different. I mean, under normal braking, you know they are there. The Trac stops smoother and quicker. It made that much of a difference. To be honest, I didn't think it would be that dramatic, but it is. I don't know why Ford even put drums on the back for two years. They must have either had some lying around they needed to use up, or they realized that they rear drums really needed to be replaced with discs.

Suprisingly enough, the rear discs used on all Explorers, 1996 to 2001 (4 door and Sport) 2001 to 2003 Sport, and 2003 to present Sport Trac have the same rear brakes. Same calipers, same rotors, and pads. I climbed under a new 2005 Trac today to compare some things.

My thoughts. If you are faint of heart, do not attempt to do the job yourself. It is not a simple job. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't labor intensive or anything. The job is straight foreward. If pulling the differential cover off, removing the center pin then removing the c-clip to pull the axle scares you, do not try it. You have to remove the axle to get the old hardware off to install the new hardware.

I have a few more things I need to do before the job is truly complete. One if which is the parking brake cables. I ordered them today. They should be here by thursday. No dealer in the area had them in stock and they are coming from a warehouse in Dearborn. I could only get the cables from the dealership. Suprisingly enough, they arent that expensive. Like $21.00 for the left rear and $35.00 for the right rear cable. Since my girlfriend works at a Ford dealership, I get her employee discount, which will be less then the price listed above.

As for looks, whenever I walk up to my Trac, I have to look at the rear wheels. I love it. The red calipers look really nice behind the wheels. In the next week or two, I will pull the front calipers off, sandblast and paint them. I may even rebuild them just to be on the safe side. I might as well if I go through all the work of removing them and all. A rebuild is only a few bucks. Only takes a few minutes to put a new seal in and adjust everything.

If anyone is interested, I can make a project of rebuilding the front calipers.

I do recomend Speedbleeders. They made the job of bleeding the brakes much easier. None of that, Pump the brakes then cracking the bleeder screw loose to let fluid out. With the Speedbleeders, I just loosen the bleeder screw, pump until no more air comes out, then tighten them back up. All of my vehicles will be getting those.

The only regret is that I did not do it sooner. Unfortunatly, it took that long to get the time to do them. I was expecting the job to take a day and a half to complete. I was able to do it in a day. I just have som odds and ends to tie up.

On a lighter note, when removing the swaybar, I managed to destroy the endlinks. My brother is going to design some improved ones with urathane fittings on it. After those are complete and they work, I might offer them to members here. If we can figure out how to make them a quick disconnect design, it might be an option for those that take thier Trac off-roading and are afraid the EE bar limits articulation. It is just some ideas we are coming up with.

He has a 1999 Explorer. We installed the Warrior Shackles and did the TT front lift. He is running 255/70-16 tires on Trac wheels. It made his Explorer look really nice. he put a slight rake on it, but it is still lifted. Looks really sharp. I just need to send my Edelbrock shocks in for replacement and he gets those. Next time I see him, I will have to get some pictures of it.

Tom

Good Job on the install and thinking/writing all this information. This makes me very interested in replacing my rear drums with disks. I think that it would be a smart move upon lifting and adding a few extra pounds with bigger rims and tires. I would also like to replace the front calipers and disks with larger ones to compensate the added wieght as well. I figured that replacing the front ones would be a must if I wanted to maintain responsive brake times and substantial brake pad life. Also, it would be just one more thing that not everyone would have :) Let me know what you think.

Nice job...both on your ST and the write-ups. It's so nice to read a posting here with correct spellling, punctuation, etc. Sometimes I can't even begin to understand what the person is trying to say due to the style of writing.

Bill

Dubl-Helix, Larger brakes are expensive. IMO, too expensive. Upgrading rotors and pads will improve your braking like night and day.

Bill Reeves, Typing is a battle for me. I can not spell worth a crap and I I can't type. It takes me forever to type something. I then have to read it over and over to find all of the typing mistakes, mis-spelled words, and improper sentence structure. I do agree, some posts I absolutly can not understand. Even if I copy and paste it and then try to add puncuation and fix spelling errors to get a better understanding on what was being said. Even after all that work, I still can't get it to where I understand what was trying to be said.

Tom

Tom and others...

Here is a free down-load. It is a spell checker. Once you put in your text simply right click and one of the options will be, "Check Spelling". I have used if for close to 1 1/2 years now. Works great for forums...

(Tom, nice job on he conversion!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cayman, I know u made a little list of parts before but I was wondering, to make it easy on us, if u could make a complete list of all the part needed, where u got the parts and how much they were. This would be a great help to me and I'm sure others on this site. I want to do this, Thanz for your help.

K

Tom,

Was just searching the site looking for this. Did you ever complete a list of all parts needed? I really wish you had created a whole member project out of this conversion. I have been considering doing this myself on my 02. Would appreciate any additional info you have...

Thanks

Fiz

The snow started to fly today. I am almost ready for winter. I will make a project, but when the weather is nice, I need to work around the house before I have to leave for work.

Tom

Caymen, do you have any pics of the rear wheels with the the tire installed already. Just wanna see how red calipers would look like behind the tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the information and the review. If we could all write reviews on new stuff we get, the community would have a ton of information to choose from before making a purchase (which is GOOD). :)

I don't know what ford was thinking putting drums on the first two years of the trac either. This monster BARELY stops as it is! 4400 pounds and 2 "real" brakes and 2 drums just don't cut it. Anyone who's tried to stop in a hurry from 80mph will wonder why ford didn't go with bigger brakes still! Personally, the braking on the stock trac isn't up to par, even with 4 discs, in my opinion. For anyone thinking of upgrading to the EE xcharger kit, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you get the upgraded brakes too, you will need 'em.

The Trac stops better then the Toyota and Nissan of the same year. In other words, not the new design of the two. Something to think about. Most people, without doing any research, think the Trac's brakes are sub-par. They really aren't.

The Trac has larger brakes then the Explorer does in the front. The front rotors are about 1" larger.

Tom

Flip, I will try to get some pics tomorrow. mom is going in for a small surgery. Hopefully I can snap a pic or two. I will tell you thins...it looks really good.

Latest posts