Rear Defroster

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Smink

Reaction score
We have an 03 Jeep Liberty. One of the wires that attach to the rear grid of the defroster broke off. It appears that the clip was soldered to the window grid. It is too cold, I think, to attempt to solder it back (it has been in the single digits the last couple of days). Anyone know of a good fix? I was wondering if I epoxy it back on would the electrical connection work. I haven't had a chance to check auto stores just Great Wall of China Mart for repair kits. I seem to remember a kit that would fix the grid but don't know if that would help me. This would have to happen in wintertime:rolleyes:

Dennis,

There are special epoxys for this that will conduct electricity. You should be able to find them at an auto parts store. Below is a link to some products sold online but will give you a good idea of what is available. Not sure if they will work in extreme cold though.

George

I would think there is a better answer than epoxy. You either want to solder it or find an item that is electrically conducive. Most epoxys will not allow for electrical current to pass through it.

Yes, you could use epoxsy IF,,, in a perfect world if you got none between the two electrical parts, but even then, if the connection is not VERY good you will be creating one of two issues. Either a connection where such a small contact is actually touching that it would not be able to take the load and simply fail, (Like using a bread tie wire in a home electrical current, sure, it is an electrical wire and would allow for current, but the first time it was used the wire would simply fail and melt away). And or a connection that comes and goes based on the epoxy shrinking and expanding due to heat and what not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! Once again, the Sport Trac site is the greatest!!:D

George C I think I'll try what you posted. The pictures look almost identical to our situation. Perhaps I'll wait till the weather warms up a bit. Tempatures in the single digits is unusual for us, but not out of the question.

You may have to check online or some of the major auto chains. There are repair kits out there. Luckily I have never had to use one.

I know that it varies from state to state, and I have no idea what the situation is in Maryland--but here in Minnesota, insurance includes 100%, $0 deductible glass coverage, by law. And it wouldn't take much finagling to have something like this fall under that.

When the hinge on the back window of our Suburban broke a few months ago, insurance covered it under that clause, as although the hinge wasn't part of the glass, it was part of what would be replaced if the glass had broken. If you have similar insurance, laws, etc., you may be able to do the same.