rear chain tensioner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I am changing the rear timing tensioner on my 02. It came out easy and went in easy but the wheel well shielding will have to wait 'till tomorrow. What is that spherical thing and why did Ford attach it to the shielding insted of some body parts. It seems to have two vaccum lines on it.

Tks and God bless Ed

That is the vacuum resivior. It is the reserve vacuum that is check valved, as so when under acceleration there is a temp loss of vacuum.

Thanks for the quick reply guys

Ed: How hard was it to change the rear tensioner? We lost the engine in my wife's '02 because of the front tensioner failing. I plan on installing new tensioners every 75K but really dread the idea of doing the rears.

Thanks,

ptf18

Not difficult. They need only be replaced when the chain rattles on start-up. The typical failure on the hydraulic timing chain tensioner is the spring used to tension the chain (until the oil pump provides pressure) gets weak.

There are timing chain guides that fail, too.

I replaced my rear tensioner last weekend and did not make a difference. I am going to replace my front tensioner this coming weekend.

I did some more research on this top end rattle and have read many examples that the problem could be as simple as using the wrong oil filter. I did recently changed my oil and I bought whatever cheap filter I could find. Apparently this v6 4.0 Explorer engine requires a filter with an anti drain back valve so oil always stays in the top of your engine when shut down. I picked up the Ford Motorcraft filter a couple days ago and it says right on the box 'silicon valve to prevent anti drain back' so I will install it this weekend and see if there is any change. It only cost $3.50 at WalMart.

/

Also I read many examples of people running a bottle of engine oil sludge cleaner through their oil to clean passages including the passages in the tensioners and that has stopped the top end rattle so I purchased the recommended bottle of 'Motor Medic Motor Flush' and will try that this weekend as well. I will be the first to admit I havent been very responsible with my oil changes and my engine might be all sludged up.

/

Latest posts