rear bumper cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Martin 2

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm planning on adding a set of 6 inch oval tail lights to the bumper. Similar to the ones you would see on a rig. I plan on putting them into the bumper. Does anyone know how much clearance there is between the bumper cover and the actual bumper? IIRC the install depth of the lights is about 2 inches. I may end up doing a set of reverse lights similar to the brake lights as well.

Looks like the cover fits snug against the bumper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm I wonder how much it would affect the inside bumper if I had to make a hole it it too. I may have to re think this now lol I guess if I have to I could get a mount made up to hang them from the frame or something....just won't look as cool lol

Swshawii as always your knowledge is golden! Thank you!

If you're interested in surface mount, I recommend the Whelen M6BTT. We use Whelen products on our emergency vehicles.

43ed7e03a2ae88e668dfe44e44d28ad9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a rear angle without the cover.

There is little space between the metal bumper and the cover (<1/2").

I wonder how much it would affect the inside bumper if I had to make a hole it it too.

Hard to quantify, but consider that the bumpers are rated to 5 or 10 MPH, and are built with the minimum amount of material to obtain that rating; removing any material will not only reduce that puny protection, but may have liability considerations as well (hear your insurance company deny coverage because of a modified vehicle safety system).

Depending on your resources or what you're willing to spend, maybe a custom bumper would work.

Yeah Mark k. I may have to go that route. But the price for four is way outta my price range. I found a couple oval mounts at the local surplus store that should work. they will be close to the bottom edge of the bumper. I'm thinking I'm going to get two clear ones for reverse lights as well...should even things up nicely.