Rear Axle Play

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Just got the 2001 Job 2 4x4 with 128,000 miles on it back from a transmission flush and trans cooler hose replacement. The tech noted something: "Has side gear to axle play as well as side gear to pin play. Needs side gears and possible axles."

The rear end makes no noise at all. No clunking noted. Can someone tell me what the tech's notation means?

$$$$'s for Dealers

Make sure you get an independent opinion (assuming you went to the Dealer when you mention "Tech"). I have question some of the stuff the "Techs" have noted on my receipts like leaking front axle seal - looked all over and found nothing leaking.

Sometimes I question whether they get paid commission or if they don't generate work for their shop then they could get laid off.

Side gear axle play can be normal. If he is talking about the in and out movement of the axles.

$$$$'s for Dealers

Love it!

I had a broken lock actuator in the right rear door, replaced under warranty. My complaint was a noise coming from the right rear door that sounded like a blown speaker. Note from "tech": "Tell customer not to play stereo so laud". Did this person really think that the speaker broke the actuator?

Anyway, get a second opinion with measurements, so you can compare to allowable end play.

I love how they say there is "side gear play", but they apparently made no effort to measure it and document the amount of play on the work order.

I would not give anymore of my business to these folks. They are crooks or else they are incompetent.

I don't recall the design of this axel- is this the one where the lash is determined by the C-clip inside the carrier, or is this the one with the press-on bearings?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have LSD then the friction plates are worn out in which cause axle shaft side to side movement C-clip set up. Axle shafts should be good but the spider gears might be toast (worn uneven). Its a wear item if you have LSD.