Really need some advice please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Quinn

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new here and need some advice on what to do. Here is a quick run down of what happened.i have a 2004 Sport trac. Blew head gasket. 241k miles. I went to salvage yard as I'm not able to do that or the timing on these motors. Engine I got supposedly has 110k miles on it. Chain guides were broke so I sent it back and they replaced all the guides. I finally got the new maybe engine installed and it runs great. However!!! I'm trying to bleed the coolant system. Seems like all the air is out but the passenger side of radiator is hot, driver side is slightly warm. Radiator cap is cold. Both the heater core lines are hot!!! No pressure in the radiator it seems. I cN drive it 20 miles and the cap with still be cold and no pressure in the radiator. On my way to work this morning the upper radiator hose blew off. Wasn't sure if I had tighten the hose or not. So I put it back on and same thing. Passenger side is hot, driver side is Luke warm and the radiator cap is cold. I know it's not normal... Lol but I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance

The first thing I would check is the thermostat. Did you replace that when you installed the new engine or is it the one that came with the engine? These engines have a plastic thermostat housing so be careful not to crack it when removing it.

Do you know why the head gasket blew on the original engine? Did it have anything to do with the cooling system? Have you ever had the system flushed? Sounds like the radiator could also be plugged. That may have been the case before the head gasket let go or it could be the result of the head gasket blowing and the cooling system may have been contaminated when that happened.

First thing I also thought of was your thermostat stuck in the closed position. pull it off, drop it in a pot of boiling water, see if it pops open. Ill bet it doesn't.

Latest posts