ready to do front braks(pads/rotors) on 02 4x4

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayson Vagenas

Reaction score
ok so thinking about sloted rotors but not sure. what does everyone think?

second should i do anything w/ bearings or anything else since im in there? i have 60k but i have 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires.

oh yeah what about pads brand or type :D

If you go with new rotors, they should come with new bearing races already installed. You may as well put in new bearings to go along with them.

As far a pads go, I prefer a ceramic composition for the simple reason they produce much less annoying brake dust.

Jayson, Uncle_Bob,

Being a 4X4 the new rotor will be ONLY the rotor, no bearing and no hub. You can not service the bearing as it is sealed on your Trac. You CAN replace it but to do so you will need to purchase a hub. These get pricey, if there is nothing wring with yours, let it be.

jayson, Coastie is correct. While you have the tires off the ground, give the wheel a shake. If there is play, check and see if it is from the ball joints. If the ball joints aren't moving, yet the whole wheel hub is, then the bearings are shot. I had a the bearings go out on my front driver's side and it seemed to happen overnight.

As for brake pads, I had a set of ceramic on mine with drilled/slotted rotors and it was nice not to have the "brake dust" like semi-metallic's, but there is a loss of stopping power. I put about 35K miles on the set of ceramics and then switched back to semi-metallics. Figured I'd put up with the brake dust just to get the stopping power back. Oh, and I have Wearever Silvers on, relitively inexpensive.;)

I've had ceramic pads on several vehicles and they didn't eat up rotors. Besides less dust, I think the pedal feel is better.

That said, I don't buy cheapo rotors. I always get the HD units from NAPA. The wife steadfastly refuses to downshift out of OD for any hill and I got two years and three cuts out of the NAPA units with ceramic pads on her Taurus.