Raw gas smell to exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I started burning 91 octane, no-ethanol fuel in my ST. The MPG is better to the point where it's worth the extra cost. Well, since I started doing this, I've had two situations where after I start the truck, there's a strong odor of raw gas coming out of the exhaust pipe and the engine is surging at idle about once a second between 500 and 1000 RPM. Drives fine once the RPM gets over 1000. If I shut the truck off and restart it, the problem is gone.

Is the super fuel doing this or is it coincidental? IAC? Other? 98,000 miles on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the same thing on my 2001 with 90,000. Sometimes the raw gas smell is terrible. I think it is a plug misfiring. There is no way the fuel injection is pumping that much extra into the mixture. It is bad as an older v-8 car with a carb that is running rich. Nasty.

Maybe the knock sensor? Or the front O2's.

Something must be making it hard for the ECU to retune to 91 and no ethanol.

Im just guessing.......

If you have a stethoscope you can listen to each cylinder and see if any are not firing. I JUST had this happen and it was the #3 cylinder (the hardest one to change)! You can also pull off one plug wire at a time. If the engine shudders when you pull it then that one is a good plug. If you pull the wire and there is no change then that is a bad plug.